Grand Willys Project - Page 238 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2020
LokRinger

Liked 1,764 Times in 558 Posts

Well you can see the Ankor wax is doing a great job! As winter has started here, the cold nights with no wind causes condensation to drip off where the clear roofing is.

Going to tackle fixing the rust pitting. The rust has already been treated but has turned black from the lanolin oil mixed with dust over the years. I can't just grind this down as the pitting is deeper than it looks and has it on the top side near the same spot too!

Being a Wagon bumper, this has rusted where the corner piece bolts on over the top of this.

I will fix every gouge and stone chip on the whole bar.

I'm using my TIG for all this as I want to keep it soft so it doesn't stay proud from being hard when I get down to fine sanding and polishing. Just using some 1.2mm mig wire as the TIG filler, or even a coat hanger for the bigger deeper pits!

After filling every rust pit I carefully ground and sanded the welds smooth keeping the original bumper thickness. Looks fine but can see the profile has flattened from the welding heat. The old DD hammer on the bench will be used to stretch the area back out again.

Used a profile gauge to make sure the shape was back again and then carefully filed just enough to show the low spots that you can see. These were then hammered up until all gone rather than just keep filing.

Where I had filled the rust pitting on the flanges, I used the long board sander to show any low spots. Can see one of the dull spots above the marker. I mark the spot so when I flip it over I know exactly where to hit the dent up.

Using a 7" disc sander and going through the grades I have removed most of the chrome but there is still a lot of nickel left. Even though it was OEM, there was no copper under that.

Can see the profile is much rounder in the welded area now, like the rest of the bar, than before the stretching was done. This is far enough now to show me I have hammered out all the dents and filled the chips and scratch damage gathered in the last 70 years! The big dents I hammered out already a number of years ago.

I drilled out the original mounting holes to take the front parking sensors. I removed the holders from the trashed donor bumper 10 years ago. This one was is damaged though so wouldn't mind some more if anyone has a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee with a damaged bumper. I can not find anywhere that sell the holders separately for the front of the Jeep. To the left of the sensor is where I repaired the rust damage and has come up fairly well.

The rear sensors are chrome so will use those on the front bumper so it blends in better. Just need to get a couple more as there are only 4 sensors on the back and 6 on the front.

Has always annoyed me that the 'I' wasn't dotted!

So I put some conveyor rubber over the top of a matching crown stake and hammered the punch into the surface. I then hammered around the dot using the drilled rod from the back so only the dot was sunk in. Hammering the punch directly over the drilled rod from the start would have been better, but keeping it balanced in the right spot was too hard to do on my own.

Whipped up a licence plate holder out of some 3mm-1/8" plate and bent the tab in my press.

The thickness allowed me to drill and tap the holes for the button head retaining screws which were sanded flush at the back. The rear plate I had ordered full size.

I decided on fitting it in the factory drivers side position. Held in place with some Holden HQ bumper bar bolts.

I'm wondering if to buy some stainless plate and remake it. Worried stones coming off the tyres will chip it badly.

Bumper now finished and have just dropped it off at the chromers. They said all my repairs and preparation means no extra cost to get the chroming redone.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 07-06-2020
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Thanks for that. I wonder if GM used BOSCH sensors as well?
Know anyone with a 3d printer?

This one looks very much like what you need:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2414449

Other options here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...&sort=relevant

Or Aliexpress looks like it may have options too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/p...r-bracket.html
Old 07-06-2020
Rock Munki

Quote:
Has always annoyed me that the 'I' wasn't dotted!
Why am I not surprised It looks way better with the dotted i by the way.

Good to see you settled on a position for the numberplate, I think that spot looks more "period" correct.

A stainless brack for the numberplate may be a better option but you've got time to sort that later.

Jason
Old 07-06-2020
LokRinger

They are great links. I have never bought using Aliexpress before. Have you?
This one looks the closest but check to see if it shares the same OE number.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...a9dd113eb94-35

My web site:
Old 07-06-2020
Rock Munki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
They are great links. I have never bought using Aliexpress before. Have you?
This one looks the closest but check to see if it shares the same OE number.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...a9dd113eb94-35
I've not used Aliexpress, like most things I think it can be a bit of a gamble and I'd suggest you only spend what you're preparred to lose.

The option looks pretty close though.

Jason
Old 08-06-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

I've bought heaps from AlieExpress. No problems really so far. Things usually take longer to arrive though. The sellers are typically the wholesalers/manufacturers themselves or a eBay seller as well. What I mean by this is that on average the sellers might not be very good at communicating in English and dealing with issues can be prob, but on the other hand if they communicate well then you might actually be talking with someone who can actually help you (possibly even alter their product and provide something better etc). The site itself doesn't work as well as eBay or Amazon etc, so can be strange to navigate etc. Overall, not as reliable as eBay (communication, shipping times), but then sometimes the savings make it worthwhile.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 08-06-2020
LokRinger

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have checked all the ones available, even in the 3D print files, they are not the right ones. Must be because so few of these had the front sensors.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply