Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 239 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Jumping onto the discussion of tyre pressures a few pages ago, got to go for a nice long drive on the new Duratracs LT 285/70 17's on the stock 7.5in rims.

After a trip up the Cooloola track to Rainbow Beach (about hour and a half) with the tyres set the day before at 32psi I went to air down and noticed they were now (hot) sitting at 36psi, exactly 4psi up! I was also quite happy with the ride at 32, though I did notice a lot less power at 100km/hr, felt like I had the handbrake on, and the fuel consumption jumped at least 1L/100 compared to the previous couple of days when at 35 cold.

Dropped to 20psi (hot) to go down to the beach and even in the softest sand we went through (pretty powdery) it just drove through unlike it ever has before. The stock tyres used to get a bit of wheelspin in the soft stuff and always had to make sure of a bit of momentum in the soft stuff. Today it just drove the softest sand (where there was a Triton bogged) like it was a dirt track. Hard to explain the feeling but it did not feel like I was driving in sand thats for sure!

Given the fuel consumption increase though, I might up the pressure back to 35psi cold (where its been for the last week) for the missus to drive to work.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 06-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Lift and Tyres of your JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
I think you will find the murchison's price is not just the basic AEV kit but actually will include steering stabiliser relocation bracket, AEV control arm drop brackets, brake line extension brackets, plus more. So make sure you are comparing prices properly.
AEV kit includes brake line brackets.. drop brackets are $150 and new Fox steering relo is about $80 or so.. buy some jack stands and a trolley jack.. will take you one whole day at most to fit everything.. less with a mate.. AEV instructions are pretty clear.. hardest part was removing the brake line mounts at the diff which is not really a hard job.. just fiddley.. as mentioned.. you will get to know your Jeeps suspension well and save money for beer and fuel for more wheeling

Sent from my Samsung Note Phablet using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-10-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky fresh jeep View Post
Mitchell Bros in Brookvale Sydney. Installed $2500 I was quoted.

I would love to do it my self but I always thought I'd need a hoist or something to keep the car lifted whilst the tyres are all off.

Can it be done by removing front tyres install front than back tyres install back?

Also is there any major mods to be made?

EDIT: This is why I was considering an ARB lift $1800 fitted. If it where $200-300 extra I could justify it but $700 might as well get the ARB lift and throw a couple of spotties on the front
I had my lift installed by Mitchell Brothers. I bought all the parts and Ben charged me just for labour.

If you keep the lift low (2 inches) you don't need all the fancy geometry correcting parts, only shocks, coils and bump stop extensions.

I bought suspension stuff coils ($700 delivered), Rancho RS9000XL shocks ($400 delivered from the states) and Mitchell Brothers charged me $700 for fitting. The charge was a bit high because I asked them to fit a another kit first, if I had gone with the SS coils from the start it would only have been about $500, so $1600 in total. Car rides like a dream.

P.S you will regret buying the ARB lift, never heard a good word about it. Most people eventually end up removing it costing $$$$.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs

Last edited by Zander; 06-10-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
I had my lift installed by Mitchell Brothers. I bought all the parts and Ben charged me just for labour.

If you keep the lift low (2 inches) you don't need all the fancy geometry correcting parts, only shocks, coils and bump stop extensions.

I bought suspension stuff coils ($700 delivered), Rancho RS9000XL shocks ($400 delivered from the states) and Mitchell Brothers charged me $700 for fitting. The charge was a bit high because I asked them to fit a another kit first, if I had gone with the SS coils from the start it would only have been about $500, so $1600 in total. Car rides like a dream.

P.S you will regret buying the ARB lift, never heard a good word about it. Most people eventually end up removing it costing $$$$.
If you have never heard a good word about the ARB lift look back at the previous page.
Old 07-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
If you have never heard a good word about the ARB lift look back at the previous page.
Just read that, pretty unusual as I've read complaints that it's too firm on a two door and the springs sag quickly. They must have improved the product over these past few years, personally I wouldn't risk it and just go with something proven.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs
Old 07-10-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Just read that, pretty unusual as I've read complaints that it's too firm on a two door and the springs sag quickly. They must have improved the product over these past few years, personally I wouldn't risk it and just go with something proven.
I don't see how changing it over the past few years could have an effect on the 2 kits mentioned as they are both around 5-6 years old. Mine was the first kit fitted to a crd auto 4 door as it was my vehicle they used to develop the kit. In your opinion what is something proven, I've read as many or more complaints on here about american kits as I have the OME lift. Do you or have you had an OME lift on your vehicle, if not I would suggest you don't knock it till you've tried it.

Last edited by WHHEMI; 07-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
I don't see how changing it over the past few years could have an effect on the 2 kits mentioned as they are both around 5-6 years old. Mine was the first kit fitted to a crd auto 4 door as it was my vehicle they used to develop the kit. In your opinion what is something proven, I've read as many or more complaints on here about american kits as I have the OME lift. Do you or have you had an OME lift on your vehicle, if not I would suggest you don't knock it till you've tried it.
Gotta agree, its a bit of an unwinnable argument. Much like auto vs manual and even more so what brand of tyres are good. Depends on your useage and how you drive. I personally will never use Coopers again think they are rubbish!! Yes they have supposedly improved their compound but don't like them. This is not a comment to restart the tyre brand argument, just saying ask 20 diff people for advice you'll get a heap of diff answers.
IPF 900xs
UHF
285/75x16 KM2s
Snorkel
Post New Thread  Reply