Grand Willys Project - Page 242 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-07-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Is that just a generic hotrod cable drive wiper motor? Or out of anything in particular? I need one for my CJ, I want sure if I should try and make a mini system fit or go with a generic hotrod one?

Top work as always!

Sent from my Ulefone_Armor_5 using Tapatalk
Old 19-07-2020
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcsh View Post
Is that just a generic hotrod cable drive wiper motor? Or out of anything in particular? I need one for my CJ, I want sure if I should try and make a mini system fit or go with a generic hotrod one?

Top work as always!

The generic ones are out of China and so many bad reports about them. Very noisy too. This is a brand new Lucus one like used in the MIni, TR6 etc.
Here is my write up on how I fitted this originally.
http://willyshotrod.com/WillysHotrodTruck47.htm

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 19-07-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have some mini ones in the shed (for the missus project) so I will use one of them instead. I had wondered how the hotrod ones would hold up, I will steer clear

Old 21-07-2020
LokRinger

Can someone please tell me what is the viewing angle like on the led's that light up on the rear parking distance indicator on the WH?
Can I put it on my back wall, tilted 90* to normal, rather than the ceiling and still be able to read it clearly?
Do they shine through the top of the bar as much as forward it what I am asking.

Cheers Marcus

My web site:
Old 21-07-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Can someone please tell me what is the viewing angle like on the led's that light up on the rear parking distance indicator on the WH?
Can I put it on my back wall, tilted 90* to normal, rather than the ceiling and still be able to read it clearly?
Do they shine through the top of the bar as much as forward it what I am asking.

Cheers Marcus
Yes, when I lay directly under mine I can see the led's clearly.
The only issue you may have is the left and right will be reversed if you mount it on the back wall with led's pointing down. Hopefully you can just swap a couple of wires around.
Even if the led's are pointing at the roof they still should be visible.
Old 21-07-2020
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Yes, when I lay directly under mine I can see the led's clearly.
The only issue you may have is the left and right will be reversed if you mount it on the back wall with led's pointing down. Hopefully you can just swap a couple of wires around.
Even if the led's are pointing at the roof they still should be visible.
Cool, thanks for the information. I was not going to turn it at all, just move it from the ceiling to the back wall so left and right will still be the same. If there is enough room for it, I maybe able to put in the upper rear window frame so it is still in the same plane.

Cheers Marcus

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 22-07-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 26-07-2020
LokRinger

Time to get started on the body and dash wiring harnesses!

Laid them out to sort them into their groups. I started with the dash harness first as I will be using that completely. It all plugged back in to where is was before and even the same holes for the harness ties etc. Big advantage of using the donor firewall/floor and dash support.

Now the surgery begins on the body harness. Lots here I won't be using so have to un-tape it and take out one wire at a time in most cases and trace them back to their source. Can't just cut both ends and pull it out as often the factory had other wires spliced into it with something I do want to keep! I always left enough wire from a major junction plug just in case I made a mistake or want to tap into it later on for something else.

The inspector has arrived! Starting to tidy the wire back up into groups again as they were laid out in the donor. Working the bundles in from the ends towards the middle. Fortunately I had labeled everything as I was stripping the donor in the first place. Also the unused plugs. I started with removing those first and often ended up at another set of used plugs. Nothing was plugged in or attached to the harness along the whole way. Most likely for things like optional DVD player and satellite radio etc.

The coiled up wire is some of what I removed. All the wiring for the rear doors, tailgate etc. I also rolled up and bundled all the airbag sensor and bag wiring together. I should have checked to see if the engine would start and drive without the airbag module connected before I started stripping the donor. I have left all the sensors connected and will plug into the module to start with. If it starts and runs I can then just unplug it all and remove it. Hopefully I don't have to plug in all the airbags as well to get it to run! Would have to use simulators in that case.

Dash harness all in but still a lot of sorting once things are in their new places. I have for instance put the factory amplifier in the dash where the passenger airbag used to be. The wiring for it used to extend all the way to the back of the Jeep and was mounted under the D pillar trim by the rear hatch.

I found a good spot for the park assist and transfercase, (FDCM), modules that were mounted under the back seat. I am mounting them where the rear DVD player went on some optioned up models from mine in the back of the console. Rear cover clips in over it and you won't know it is there.

I have shortened and extended harnesses for things as I have them mounted in their final position. Unfortunately that big thick loop of wire is all extra length I don't need! Can't say I am looking forward to cutting one wire at a time and shortening the whole thing. This is extra because the harness used to run down each side of the cabin by the door sills and crossover under the back seat area. I have run it all under the console instead as my door seal is flush with the floor height and it now also doesn't cross over as far back. Tempting to pull the excess back under the dash somewhere and loop it or under the seats on the floor. Another thing that worries me is this is all run on a CAN-bus system with twisted pairs of wires running the data. I don't know if shortening those wires such a great deal will affect the resistance too much and cause errors? I just don't know enough about this and this is all a big learning curve for me. Has cutting out the rear doors and hatch wiring even affected it? If anyone knows more about this, please chime in.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply