Grand Willys Project - Page 245 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I like the Defender lights but, ... I think they are very recognisable as Defender lights and I would think that after years of hard work keeping the Jeep look, I would not want people asking if you got the lights off a Defender.

Just a thought.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2020
LokRinger

Liked 1,758 Times in 557 Posts

I think they look different enough because they never came with the chrome trim ring around it. I just found somebody that was selling them to give an old school look to the all plastic versions of the 3 series, 90 and 110 versions.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 07-09-2020
LokRinger

As I can't go out and buy any supplies during the COVID-19 lockdown, so good I can use more of 'might come in handy one day' things.

Making some door armrests from scratch. I first started by coming up with a top shape that I liked. Then cut a template from some sheet steel. Held it 90* to the bench while I laid over some card to get the side template. With the curved part hanging over the bench, the card could be rolled over the edge and the excess marked and cut off to be flat with the bench top.

They are tapered to better suit the wedge shape of the cab as the back of the doors are further away from the seats than the front.

Using steel that was once office shelves, I cut the top and back to be one piece after folding it. The sides were from another office shelf.

Rolled the ends over a pipe T dolly using a lead beating bat I bought while in England as a souvenir. I'm nothing but practical! No hammer marks this way and gives a nice even roll right across the piece.

Just sitting there but fits up very well without gaps. I left the base long so it stays flat and square. After it is tack welded together, I can just cut the rest off.

It will sit at the same height off the floor as the top of the console for good ergonomics. Making sure I have enough room for the speakers as well.

I didn't like the generic window switches that came with the electric window kit, so using the donor Jeep ones to keep it all plug and play as well. It also has the central and window lock controls.

I fitting some laminated ply to the top so the switch plates could be recessed.

I have the switch plates just shy of flush by the thickness of the leather that will be applied. More to come on these while I wait for the recessed pull handles to arrive and will make a leather padded piece that will cover the whole arm rest. It will have a cut out just for the front window and central locking switches, (hiding the rear pair), and another for the recessed handle.

My web site:
Old 23-09-2020
LokRinger

Running into some trouble with the CANBUS and the electric windows. Years ago I sold off the passenger side doors with the electric windows and need them.
If somebody on here bought them from me, or has some electric window motors and track from a passenger side 05-10 WH, or maybe XH? Please let me know as wish to buy them.

My web site:
Old 23-09-2020
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Running into some trouble with the CANBUS and the electric windows. Years ago I sold off the passenger side doors with the electric windows and need them.
If somebody on here bought them from me, or has some electric window motors and track from a passenger side 05-10 WH, or maybe XH? Please let me know as wish to buy them.
Have you looked for new replacement parts at all? Window regulators aren't overly expensive so that may be an easier option.

Jason
Old 29-09-2020
LokRinger

Sorry but posting is going to be all over the place, or nothing at all for a while. I have to keep changing from one thing to another while waiting for parcels to arrive due to the lock down still on in my state. Longest running in the world now!

Anyway, rather than waiting until I can show completing things in a logical order, I can post as little thing get done in the meantime.

I ran into a problem when I tried the new H4 LED headlights for the first time. They would not change from low to high after converting from the donor twin bulb setup. Fortunately help from good friend at Jeep R Us, Richard Curly, suggested to try a CANBUS Error Cancelation Module, preferably one that works with Jeeps PWM, Pulse Width Modulation, system. I found these from STEDI and it fixed the problem completely. https://www.stedi.com.au/h4-canbus-c...onversion.html I have mounted them to the radiator support as these do generate heat.

I wired the DRL, Day Time Running Lights, as my parkers as only use them while driving at dusk, dawn and foggy conditions. Before adding the module they would strobe once turned on, but for some reason that got fixed as well which is a bonus.

The NARVA inserts use a LED projector for low beam. Notice also that my LED indicators are also glowing dimly which they shouldn't. Adding a 6 Ohm load resistor fixed that.

When on high beam the low beams remain on as well. The lights give a very clean cut off so wont blind oncoming drivers.

Testing here the best position to mount my new chrome windscreen washers. I decided to order two twin squirters to give good coverage to the split windscreen.

Was able to save having them in the bonnet and the hoses will run under the dash instead. The exact centre of each windscreen half put it inline with the hinge. These are are good quality as machined from solid brass and are Lucas style as fitted to many early English cars.

Also got some chrome plated cast steel wiper bezels. These seal against the cowl completely leak free, unlike the last set I tried made from a soft rubber. These suit early Minis, Triumph Spitfire & GT6 and MGB's. These and the wiper washes were bought from Classic Bits on eBay. https://www.ebay.com.au/str/Classic-...p2047675.l2563

I scored in that the bezel kept the wiper wheel box at the correct angle which is parallel to the glass angle. Otherwise the wipers will not run smoothly as the pressure will change throughout the sweep if not matched.

Just got my Defender LED upgrade pack in. I found there were three main versions of these and I chose the NSLUMO brand, although the box says Vinstar, as they had more obvious beehive rings which looked more period and made the LED's less visible. They have the E and SAE codes on the lenses. Can get them on Amazon or eBay. The other two popular brands are WIPAC and RDX.

I also imported from the UK some chrome plated brass rings for the more old school look. Bought from Parts for Classic Land Rovers. https://www.ebay.com.au/str/classic-...p2047675.l2563

Probably still prefer the chrome ring around the 39 Chevy LED's, but couldn't get matching reversing lights, only stop/tail for the rear set. If anybody in Australia wants the Chevy LED's, will sell them for $70 AUD which is below what it cost me to land them here.

The LR upgrade pack came with a LED flasher relay, but the donor Jeep does not run one and uses the Front Control Module to control them. The lights would glow as soon as the computer became active and then would be dim and hyper flash when turned on. I fitted a 50w 6 Ohm load resistor between the positive and negative wires. 4 in total just for the indicators/turn signals as the circuit is split left to right and front to rear. So one for each corner of the vehicle, but didn't need extra for the side ones.

Got a nice classic look to them but with the modern twist I am after.

So front lights now all working and finished. I also got the final two chrome parking sensors for the bumper as well.

My web site:
Old 29-09-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Nice work. Thanks for the update!
Post New Thread  Reply