list the issues you have had with your kj - Page 25 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehe - KJs are like problem children. You love em to death, but they give ya so much heartache.

So far, i'm impressed by the actual Jeep engineering. I think it's the choice of suppliers that really lets the team down.

I'm pretty sure, thinking back on all the probs that i've had, most of them were poor materials used by the suppliers. (apart from the numerous recalls and TSBs that is - but i reckon the Jeep act on these pretty well)
Old 08-04-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back seat window on right hand side having some problems. It doesn't go up and down anymore using switch, just makes a nasty noise. You can push the window up or down using your hand from outside with ease, and it tends to vibrate itself down when driving. Not great timing with the unseasonal rain we've had in Perth of late.

Search on LostKJ suggest it is a window regulator problem and not that uncommon - although I appear to be the first on this forum?

2006 CRD 65th KJ - so it should be sorted out under warranty. My first real problem in 6 months ownership.
Old 08-04-2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jees this thread is depressing ;(
Old 08-04-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well a quick summary of the history of my KJ CRD since mid-2005 when I bought it new until now. In approximate order as they happened.
1. Rattles in engine bay traced to air-con pipe.
2. Rattles in dash traced to Airbag mounting.
3. Rough idle and stalling (resolved itself / dealer couldn't find fault)
4. Ball Joint recall.
5. Intermittent transmission shudder (could never find cause)
6. Soaring temp gauge on hot days (gauge "reflashed")
7. Torque converter recall.
8. Overheating engine even on mild days (faulty clutch fan)
9. Soaring temp gauge (guage "reflashed" again!)
10. Transmission refusing to change up when hot and stalling when cold. apparently fixed by topping up fluid.
11. Transmission still stalling occassionally when cold.
12. Faulty Air pressure sensor (replaced outside warranty)
13. Transmission very rough when changing and causing Powertrain warning light to come on. (dealer could not find fault).
14. 3 days later this problem has come up again.
15. No longer care as I am trading car.

Aside from these issues I have really enjoyed the Jeep.
Old 19-04-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If get a dodge fuel pump module sender from the US you will get a lift pump for your KJ built in with it..... that will also cure any hesitation after acceleration you might have.
Old 26-04-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fair Dinkum, you guys have had a hard time! My KJ 3.7 limited (2003) has 136,000ks, on the clock, haven't replaced brake pads yet. Had the LBJs done a while back. Every bell and whistle still working fine, in fairly harsh conditions up here (hot, wet, dusty, long distances travelled) Could not be happier with it, best car ever had, and most capable of course. Only had to replace idler pulley a few weeks ago, expensive from the dealers ($450), measured it up and got an identical Ford pulley from a bearing shop for $17, (a steel one not a hard plastic one like original) and fitted it myself (replaced other pulley as well and belt). So shop around, see what else might fit. Also, make sure you use the right oil, i had a noisy diff after changing oil after a deep water crossing, and had a grinding noise till i used correct oil, no problems since. So yeah, touch wood and fingers crossed, i hope i don't come across half the probs some of you have had!
Cheers and beers
Old 27-04-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgete View Post
well where do i begin....

lost power whilst drinving, engine stalled & OBD malfuntion light on- couldn't start for at least 20 mins- service department advised faulty fuel level sensor circuit!!!!

lost power for a second time last week, this time couldn't start again for several hours. dealer had for 6 days- can not work out what is wrong!!!!

In the process of putting in a formal complaint to consumer affairs (office of fair trading).

Odd, I had that happen to me in my '07 KJ CRD in Feb this year. I just couldn't restart, so I RTFM and located the manual pump button near the fuel filter. I had just filled up the tank and figured maybe water in fuel ?? You have to push this damn little button 20 times, whew! I did that and bingo, a restart straight away.

Car was due for 6 mnths service and I spoke to a tech at SVM Chatswood when booking it in. They advised to go to a known servo (I had put 20 ltrs. only in at a servo that I don't usually go to) and fill the tank completely (I had a qrtr. tank then) so as to dilute the effect of the "bad fuel" and come in for service ASAP. Booked it in at SVM Chatswood a few days later. They checked it all out and came up with zilch. Said that maybe just enough water (moisture ?? ) in the fuel caused the water sensor to trip. Fingers crossed it wouldn't happen again. They also replaced the brake pads all round, under warranty, as the trouble and strife, who has the pleasure of driving the KJ all the time, had complained about groaning. Smiles all round, nice work SVM Chatswood.

But I had the KJ for a day last Thursday and it happened again. This time I just made it to a parking spot, turned the ign. off, waited 20-30 sec., cranked, nothing, repeat and bingo, a restart It seemed down on power for a kilometre or so but has been OK since. I had nearly a full tank of fuel at the time.

This seems a bit odd, and parallels your experiences, gidgete, however I had no warning lights on at all

Anyone else have any clues?
(no mods)
Post New Thread  Reply