Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 255 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-12-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yea I will use freight forwarding forever now, USAtoAUS, have it sent to their address in the states and they will get it to your door cheaper and more smoothly than having to sort customs yourself, I got stung with everthing, even had to fumigate the wooden pallets they came on coz no paperwork saying they had been sprayed... nuffy's
http://bit.ly/1eFBSY5
Old 14-12-2013
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default Lift and Tyres of your JK

Looking into dynamic/procomp steelies and need some advice; 16 or 17" as I've got a 07 JKU which can run 16's... thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-12-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
Now that sounds like a more familiar story, $2500 sounded to good to be true. Thanks for the heads-up.
Bought my wheels in the USA, +the GST +the freight, bought 33" Mud Hogs tyres locally - total= $2060 for 5. How is that ?

Last edited by TheoB; 15-12-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 15-12-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 112 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoB
Bought my wheels in the USA, +the GST +the freight, bought 33" Mud Hogs tyres locally - total= $2060 for 5. How is that ?
Share the secret mate, every tire place I've tried in the US wanted between $600 and $800 (US) to ship 5 KMC XD Misfits to me. Some refused to ship to Australia and the most expensive was Trends-Auto who wanted $849 for shipping.

Still waiting for TireRack to get back to me, but the whole hidden cost thing has me looking locally instead.

I realise I could get cheaper through using a UStoAUS container, but is it that much cheaper?

As for tyres locally, there's a big price difference between 33" Mud Hogs and the 285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers I was looking at.

2008 Black JKU - Uneek4x4 Bars & Sliders, AEV 2.5", 295/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Method NV 305's.
Old 15-12-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Lift and Tyres of your JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler33 View Post
Looking into dynamic/procomp steelies and need some advice; 16 or 17" as I've got a 07 JKU which can run 16's... thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also deciding on these rims for mine. I would like to see if anyone has any photos of the 16x8 with +6 offset. I would very much like to see how far out they stick over stock.

Whatever the wallet has, the jeep takes!
Old 15-12-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
Share the secret mate, every tire place I've tried in the US wanted between $600 and $800 (US) to ship 5 KMC XD Misfits to me. Some refused to ship to Australia and the most expensive was Trends-Auto who wanted $849 for shipping.

Still waiting for TireRack to get back to me, but the whole hidden cost thing has me looking locally instead.

I realise I could get cheaper through using a UStoAUS container, but is it that much cheaper?

As for tyres locally, there's a big price difference between 33" Mud Hogs and the 285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers I was looking at.
Hi mate,

This is the "ebay store" of Discount Tires Direct: http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Tire...=p4634.c0.m322

I only got the wheels, had them sent to UsatoAus.com and freighted over. Its only $35 per wheel to ship, but you have to wait. I waited nearly 8 weeks, but was totally happy to do so. I also got them when the AU dollar was 96c.

I also know the Mud Hogs are priced differently but my JK is not a daily driver and am happy with the tyres bought locally for a low cost anyway. I do like the Nittos - don't get me wrong - I checked the cost to purchase those over there too. Then decided on the price point vs perceived value. We wont start the tyre debate again, but if a $230 tyre can do everything a $430 can do, then what is the difference??? Buggered if I know?? I'm not being a smart ass, I just don't know!! and that's $1k in my pocket.

The wheels incl exchange rate, GST as the whole contained gets declared and everybody who has stuff in it pays regardless of whether you are over or under $1K, the shipping x5 wheels = $970.

Compared to wheels that I checked out locally from local brands and/or suppliers that were $300-400 ea.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by TheoB; 15-12-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 15-12-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 112 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoB
Hi mate,

This is the "ebay store" of Discount Tires Direct: http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Tire...=p4634.c0.m322

I only got the wheels, had them sent to UsatoAus.com and freighted over. Its only $35 per wheel to ship, but you have to wait. I waited nearly 8 weeks, but was totally happy to do so. I also got them when the AU dollar was 96c.

I also know the Mud Hogs are priced differently but my JK is not a daily driver and am happy with the tyres bought locally for a low cost anyway. I do like the Nittos - don't get me wrong - I checked the cost to purchase those over there too. Then decided on the price point vs perceived value. We wont start the tyre debate again, but if a $230 tyre can do everything a $430 can do, then what is the difference??? Buggered if I know?? I'm not being a smart ass, I just don't know!! and that's $1k in my pocket.

The wheels incl exchange rate, GST as the whole contained gets declared and everybody who has stuff in it pays regardless of whether you are over or under $1K, the shipping x5 wheels = $970.

Compared to wheels that I checked out locally from local brands and/or suppliers that were $300-400 ea.

Hope that helps.
Certainly does help TheoB, many thanks.

Haha, not looking to open the Tyre debate in the slightest.

Did you pick up from port or organise a courier? I've checked out the USAtoAUS site before, not clear on whether their shipping quote includes clearing everything at port - ie brokerage, unpacking fees etc.

Did you just pay $35 a wheel plus GST and then freight from port to your door or were there other costs involved?

2008 Black JKU - Uneek4x4 Bars & Sliders, AEV 2.5", 295/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Method NV 305's.
Post New Thread  Reply