What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2552 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2016
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernicious View Post
Pulled my front drive shaft to see if it was causing my vibe... It wasn't, now I'm researching a good SYE. They all look to be about the same price. I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah I'm about to order the IRO HnT SYE and replace all unis and centering balls, also going to do a transfer case clock with their jig. Already got a spare front shaft to go in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-08-2016
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidecustoms View Post
Yeah I'm about to order the IRO HnT SYE and replace all unis and centering balls, also going to do a transfer case clock with their jig. Already got a spare front shaft to go in the back.

Between the jig and tools needed to do the hnt type, it's nearly the same price as a full install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
i use the iron rock off road sye, and the go jeep write up as a reference.
good luck with it
That's what I was looking at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
I have the SYE, so have a front drive shaft in the rear.
Replace your rear uni's, or wait until you do the SYE, get a front shaft in the back and replace all those uni's.

You may have to remeasure you driveline angles and make sure you have the right shims in there. I have some 4* and 6* shims coming for when i redo my rear suspension.
You can also drive into a tyre (tire) shop and get your rear wheels checked and rebalanced.
My plan is a SYE and a front shaft, but I might try putting a new uni in the rear first...

I have bit the 4 and 6* shims already so I'm set there. It's definitely not the tires.

Thanks all!
Old 22-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
Where are you? Maybe I can help?
Lake Macquarie area, thx bro for the kind offer, think u may have offered parts b4, yr a gent, and maybe I should have tried on here, but for $70, and 40min drive, as my mate said, just pay and get it, which I did

what I WILL be after, is buy a whole Jeep, pref a black 96, hopefully as a going wrecker, and take it up my rural block to use & keep for spares.

damm thieves and vandals up in the backhills too though!

when I had my Scout Inter for 10yrs, never bought a single new part or tyre, as I obtained a wreck with many xtra spares, broke even when sold
Old 22-08-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts

Have had a small leak on the high pressure hose fitting on the steering box for a while. Was getting pissed off with it. Would loosen it & re-tighten it & it would be good for a day or 2. Finally decided to have a close look. Found the little O ring on the end of the fitting was damaged. Found another O ring & fitted it. No leak for 3 days! Happy as !
Old 23-08-2016
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Fitted new smooth & ribbed steel idler pulleys and TPS. No more squeals and the trans is back to shifting properly.
Old 24-08-2016
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

I read a thread on how bent "frame rails" can cause a lean... So I went to inspect my vehicle. I've noted that my right side fender to ground distance is right at 38" where my left is just shy of 37.5". I found this...

Now at least I know where the lean comes from. Anyone got any ideas?

Note: I do know that these are unibody vehicles and technically don't have frame rails.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that I have some ideas. The first and easiest is to take my left shackle and put it on the bottom hole (2" lift) while leaving the right on the top hole (1.5" lift), but I don't know if that would do anything screwy with the suspension. The second is to get some relocation boxes and shim the left side 0.5" while not shimming the right.

Last edited by vernicious; 24-08-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 24-08-2016
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernicious View Post
I've noted that my right side fender to ground distance is right at 38" where my left is just shy of 37.5".

Tyres could still be at play there.. best to measure from the guard to centre of the wheel.