What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2643 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

picked up 4 good wheels & tyres $80, put them straight on in the Industrial area was in, a bloke with a nice big lifted Patrol says "you should get a Patrol"

I say "wouldnt I be broke?" they cost far more to buy

"mine is only 1550kg to"....his weighs near 3 tonne

Oh its a diesel then?...no a V8 petrol

how MPG does it do?...he does not know, except it cost $40 to drive to Maitland and back!!

"mine will go anywhere that will go" I say

he was a good big fella, so I let him of the hook when he said he had 3 kids, no way ever you would have fitted my 3 x 6ft+ sons in the back
Old 29-03-2019
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

I wish mine cost me $40 to drive to Maitland and back!!!

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 30-03-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
I wish mine cost me $40 to drive to Maitland and back!!!
We ALL know the XJ is pretty heavy on juice

mine averages in the 16s/100km, which equates to 16-17mpg

Based on what the gent said, he would be looking at around 25L/100 or 12mpg, as that trip is just over 100km

for a near 3 ton V8 Nissan on 35s, that sounds about right

My 3.5 VL Jackaroo used ~18L/100km
Old 30-03-2019
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

I used to get around 14-15L/100 loaded up rear, with a roof basket loaded and towing the camper trailer....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 30-03-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
I used to get around 14-15L/100 loaded up rear, with a roof basket loaded and towing the camper trailer....
thats the absolute max I have ever got, empty, on longer trips

most of my trips are <30km, so that never helps,
as engine is getting a rich mix most of the time

I suspect engine age & mileage has a bit to do with it, my previous one was slightly worse.

Even driving with fuel economy trial in mind, on a longer trip, best is 410km for 60L, which is how much I normally add, once the fuel light comes on solid
Old 04-04-2019
Full Flexer

raced a red P-plater in a 90s? Falcon from the lights,
surely must have been a pre-Barra engine model,
as he only had me by ~1metre at 60kmph
Old 05-04-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

For the first time in 24 years, I removed the door sills to check on what lies beneath...

To my relief.... just dirt that thousands of pressure washes haven't removed. Today, I washed out the sills, the body underneath, and put the sills back on... Interesting that the underside of the plastic sills still read AMC Corporation and that they were manufactured in May 1995, one month before the car was assembled.

However...

The tailgate sill is another story. I knew some rust had built up when I partially removed the door seal in the area of the locking pin. However, when I removed the sill, I could see a lot of rust in the sheet metal that the rubber seal attaches to...

I scraped as much of it off as I could, and I sanded it down to bare metal in most parts. To do a proper job, I think the bumper will need to come off so that I can deal with the thinning paint behind it on the body work (not rusted, just thin...). I don't have time to do it right now..

I am also going to order new rubber sealing because there could be rust and corrosion underneath the existing seals elsewhere, although not visible. When it arrives, I am going to strip all the existing rubber seals off the doors, (and where needed) sand the sheet metal down, prime it, paint it, refit the new seals and this car will be as good as new.

I also have a new OEM battery tray to install, but to swap it out with the old broken one, I need to tend to the body work underneath it. The paintwork has thinned out, not only here but the entire engine bay. It only started happening when I got the engine bay degreased recently. Looks like the degreaser is also a paint stripper. Up until last year, the engine bay still had its clear coat. (not happy)

I am kind of frustrated that I have all these tasks that I want to do, but have little time. If it were possible, I would live in my garage... when I am not in my Oztent.

My next project after this one is the engine bay: look at replacing all of the original hoses and fittings, probably a new Power Steering Pump (nothing wrong with the original yet), new coolant bottle (I am sus about the tiny cracks these things can get... currently on my second one)...

Then we will be good for another 24 years.... 345,000 km on the odo.

Last edited by eksjay; 05-04-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply