What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2658 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
Ordered a new set of all 4 lower window belt line moldings. All of the clips on my factory trims have rusted, some to the point of dragging the windows and scratching them, and the black coating has peeled and deteriorated on a couple, it's just nasty. I got to researching, and a company called Precision in the USA manufactures replacement belt trims at a VERY reasonable cost. They don't sell them directly, but you can buy them through Jegs, Summit Racing etc... I found Summit was the cheapest, coming in at a total of $130 AUD for both the front and rear window kits delivered. Not bad all things considered! These are the parts on PRP (Precision)'s website;

https://www.prp.com/product/detail/352515

https://www.prp.com/product/detail/352518

I can't wait to replace these, because at the same time I have a guy here who will tint all my glass for bugger all, cash. I've had him do a bunch of cars for me in the past, does great work and does it cheap out of a little shed he rents in the nearby industrial area. Love it! Support small, support local
Thats brilliant.
Im going to order some of these, as mine are perished..
Cheers,
Old 04-05-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Ditto - that's amazing, didn't know replacement door/window mouldings existed; mine are going hard & shedding bits. I just need to search for 97-01 versions.

Other door problem is my rear window-glass divider bars (is there a better name?) being so rusty on outside top that they push out and let rain in... breakers only want to sell me a whole door.. but mine was nice and waxoyled / rust-free lower parts / custom speakers , so going to have to do all that again.

two foward, one back...
Old 05-05-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorechild View Post
Ditto - that's amazing, didn't know replacement door/window mouldings existed; mine are going hard & shedding bits. I just need to search for 97-01 versions.

Other door problem is my rear window-glass divider bars (is there a better name?) being so rusty on outside top that they push out and let rain in... breakers only want to sell me a whole door.. but mine was nice and waxoyled / rust-free lower parts / custom speakers , so going to have to do all that again.

two foward, one back...
I was reading about this randomly just the other night, about people wanting to replace those rear door quarter window metal bars. From what I recall, it's not possible to buy them new as they're long, long, long gone... But you can buy them from some folk. I haven't seen any in Australia but here's an example from the US;

https://deadjeep.com/products/97-01-...iver-passenger

At the very least it gives you some clear terminology and imagery to use when searching for parts down under. It really helps if you can message a wrecker or someone parting a car, send them a photo like this and go "Can I have exactly this please". They're super easy to remove, you take out your main glass, and then undo that one bolt down below and with a bit of fiddling about the whole thing can pop free / down, then you just angle it outward slightly and slide it up and out of the door frame.

Has everyone started ordering those belt line window trims or something, because my arrival date for the parts to summit racing has gone up by two days so far Maybe we should have organised a bulk order haha. Also, Scorechild, PRP also does those belt line trims for the later models, you can see all of their parts here;

https://www.prp.com/product/?SearchT...rokee&type=All

There are two belt line kits you can see, and each kit does all 4 doors which is nice. One is out of stock, and one is in stock... I'm not sure what the difference between them is, but you should be able to work it out. The link to the kit that's still available on Summit is here;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pqp-wfk-6111-97

Last edited by Sobek; 05-05-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Many thanks mate... I've fired off messages but the moldings seem to be out of stock until July. I can wait.

With the 'door vent glass bar' thing, I reckon I just need to buy best I can and might still end up needing to strip / paint / powder it, as all the 2nd hand ones seem in bad state too.

All good stuff but what I really want to focus on is a WJ knuckle/ caliper swap!
Old 06-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorechild View Post
Many thanks mate... I've fired off messages but the moldings seem to be out of stock until July. I can wait.

With the 'door vent glass bar' thing, I reckon I just need to buy best I can and might still end up needing to strip / paint / powder it, as all the 2nd hand ones seem in bad state too.

All good stuff but what I really want to focus on is a WJ knuckle/ caliper swap!
Is this what you’re after? He has two, left and right sides. Looks like he’s a Qld wrecker, track him down online and call the years, might be able to do a cheaper deal direct?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172247805029
Old 06-05-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
Is this what you’re after? He has two, left and right sides. Looks like he’s a Qld wrecker, track him down online and call the years, might be able to do a cheaper deal direct?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172247805029
Those are the fronts, he's chasing the rears. The rear ones never come up, like I've been looking at XJ parts every second day for years now, ebay, gumtree etc and I can't honestly recall ever seeing rear quarter glass panels showing up
Old 06-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
Those are the fronts, he's chasing the rears. The rear ones never come up, like I've been looking at XJ parts every second day for years now, ebay, gumtree etc and I can't honestly recall ever seeing rear quarter glass panels showing up
I wonder why the rears are specifically so rare? For a wrecked car even in an accident it is usually damaged either front or back or one side so something must have survived. Maybe they just rust out due to some poor quality control specific to the rears? I don’t know. With my TJ I heard poor quality control led to many of them having rust under the door window rubbers due to excess welding slag. I pulled my rubbers back and presto, rust spots which I fixed up immediately.