ESP Disable - Take two - Page 27 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-06-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

I've a feeling that the wheel hokey pokey has gone.... don't ask me where i saw it but....

And on a side note... had an "odd" discussion with VicRoads Engineering on ESC disable. When i mentioned it was possible they were a bit taken aback and then stated "well of course there are always ways for Jeep to override things... but of course that's something only the manufacturer can do..." . When i mentioned it was in fact described in the normal User Manual they were dumpstruck. Needless to say the shutters came down and the discussion then went nowhere fast.
Old 01-07-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm interested in this mod for a JKU.
Without the rear being LSD or having a locker would I benefit from having the systems control and drive to rear wheels and increase the traction over both wheels on the axle?

I'm confused, in low traction situations - Soft sand etc
Wouldn't having more traction on all wheels be better than just open diff centres?

Thanks Jason
Old 01-07-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

The diff braking works well, when you are on hard surfaces. On sand when the tyres start spinning (2Hi/4Hi) Traction control kicks in and applies the brakes to the tyre spinning at a faster rotation than the other.

Drive will only go to one tyre when in 2Hi or if in 4Hi one tyre in the rear and one in the front.

On sand I found the braking effect would actually in some cases get me bogged as I couldn't maintain the speed.

With the wire cut and a switch in place it was like driving in 4Lo as the throttle response and acceleration are not affected by the JK's brain.

I also found steep hill climbs with a really deep powder in the ruts would also be the same in 4Lo as the braking would actually slow the car down to the point either a gear change was required which would drop the speed and revs to the point the car would stop or stall. Flick the switch and keep the foot on the gas and bang up the hill no dramas.

In the auto its not so bad but the manual I found it to be a pain in the rectum.
Old 01-07-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_dorphin View Post
I'm interested in this mod for a JKU.
Without the rear being LSD or having a locker would I benefit from having the systems control and drive to rear wheels and increase the traction over both wheels on the axle?
I think what you saying here you'd prefer to keep Brake Lock Diff Function because you have Open Diffs, and if you do the ESP Mod you will loose BLD.

Your the same as me in that id like to keep ABS because i wanted to keep Hill Decent Functioning due to the Auto G/Box.

If the Wheel Dance Procedure works on your JKU you will Keep- ABS, 4Lo ABS (allows some skidding) and BLD.

ESP, ERM & TCS will all be OFF.

But what i'll do now is fit a momentary switch for ESP Mod, then if i feel i want Hill Decent Functioning then i just Stop and Restart the Engine (esp will reset), then Press Hill Decent Button.
Old 02-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/el...ontrol-system/
Old 02-07-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_dorphin View Post
yes but that was written in 2009, has anyone manage to get a 2012+ JK to turn ESP full off with wheel dance?
It also says 2007 JK didn't have this feature without a dealer flash, but with my old 07 it did work, although it did go in for early warranty abs re-flash from new so id say that's when the feature was uploaded.

Also note that quick reference sheet has been around for a while and one section of it is wrong.
4th Line Down it says Full Off for 2H & 4H by Holding ESP off button for 5 Sec.
Although they got it right in the text the quick ref is wrong in that you cant select Full Off in 2H

ESP OFF MODES
2H= Press ESP off button once to turn traction control ‘Partial Off’
4H= Press ESP off button once to turn traction control ‘Partial Off’
4H= Press and hold ESP off button for 5 seconds to turn ESP Off, but comes back on if you travel over 40 MPG (64klm)
4L=ESP is automatically turned off (same as holding button for 5 sec in 4H) until you travel over 40 MPH (64klm)

2H, 4H, 4L= Wheel Hockey Pocky Turn ESP off completely with no auto reset from cycling ignition key, ABS & BDL (and I assume Hill Decent Button?) Still Function.
Old 02-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there any way to turn everything off apart from the Diff Brake Lock function?

That's for 2H/4H & 4L?

I would prefer to keep this going for beach and wheeling
Post New Thread  Reply