If no one can solve my boiling problem it's gq time!! - Page 27 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Detroit I picked up off eBay is a no spin
It's genuine Detroit

bloke i got it off said it owes him over a grand

Lokkas are what I ran in my falcon worked really well, but harsh in the manual but fine with auto. Better then a mini spool anyway
Old 05-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

You will need to find and open carrier for the Lockright. I am sure you can find some 2nd hand detroits, grizzlys or arbs for cheap, I personally wouldnt run a lunchbox in the rear.
Old 05-03-2013
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffeb View Post
The Detroit I picked up off eBay is a no spin
It's genuine Detroit

bloke i got it off said it owes him over a grand

Lokkas are what I ran in my falcon worked really well, but harsh in the manual but fine with auto. Better then a mini spool anyway
Lokkas are cheap for a reason, they dont replace the carrier where as the Detroit does. The two dont compare from a strength point of view. The Detoit soft locker/no spin is a far superior piece of kit and is lot stronger than the 4WDSystems Lokka.

If you have a detroit then put that in rather than the lokka, it'll cost more to install as it's not easily done at home since you're replacing the carrier but it will be a much better option if you already have both. Just check it is the right carrier break for the gears you want to run though.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve F; 05-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was planning on running the Detroit in rear
Don't have the Aussie yet, would run it in front

I didn't think the axles will hold up with 33s with a Detroit in rear

Are the detroits same spline as normal LSD centres??

Was going to get a lokka if I got a ford 8.8 diff. Not keen on diff swap prefer to get billet axles for the d35
Old 05-03-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I am telling you, even with super shafts ,your D35 won't live long on 33's... Epecially when you lock!
Old 05-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

It won't break the shafts, the r+p will shit themselfs before that happens.
Old 05-03-2013
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffeb View Post
I was planning on running the Detroit in rear
Don't have the Aussie yet, would run it in front

I didn't think the axles will hold up with 33s with a Detroit in rear

Are the detroits same spline as normal LSD centres??

Was going to get a lokka if I got a ford 8.8 diff. Not keen on diff swap prefer to get billet axles for the d35
Depends which one you bought. Also the replacement carriers have a carrier break on them. To keep it simple the detroit is either for 3.73 ratios or below OR it's for 4.11 ratios and above. There are also options for different spline counts. Stock axles wont last in the rear with or without a Detroit. I destroyed an axle, ring and pinion and spider gears with 32's. I then put in a D44 and detroit and run 35's with no more problems.

What axles/kit are you talking about? You can get chrom-moly in the stock spline count, or get a new carrier and get a higher spline count but then with the cost of that you could stick in a D44 or 8.8 anyway.

Cheers
Steve
Post New Thread  Reply