Patrol better than JK - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-09-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I set mine up for remote touring and can get better then 1000km if I don't thrash it.
Auxiliary fuel tank was money well spent.

To put it into perspective I work for
Bushfires NT and remote travel a lot, my current work car is a 2015 cruiser ute
that has 180L in tanks and I have never got 900km out of both tanks together.
The new V8 cruisers are terrible on fuel so that is no surprise
Old 25-09-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You running 37s John boy ?Control arms, Track bar, Tierod, Drag link
Drive shaft, Axle cover.. Woah. See this was my question.. there are two things offroad performance and on road drivability. On my current GU I run 35s with a 2.5 inch crappy lift off ebay ..no castor issues( I dont know whether that is applicable to a Patrol TBH), zero driveline upgrades and I never worry about my axle..never heard of a bent Patrol axle, no sleeve/gussets/chromoly shafts. Onroad the thing is still slow but not unbearably so and no body roll as I am on a low lift. I may agree that a modified Jeep is more capable than a modified Patrol but then the vehicle is only 75% of the deal, the driver is the rest 25%. So to have the same worry free offroad experience and no death wobbles onroad on 35s, if one has to spend 5k on a jeep and 800 on a Patrol isnt the Patrol better value albeit slower and more thirsty than a Jeep ? When I say 5k, I mean to hit everything with all you got like I do with the Patrol and be sure that the axle will not get damaged
Old 25-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

sounds like you answered your own question?

i reckon patrols probably are the best value bush bashers yeah, especially in aus where the jeep is less common

pajeros seem to go pretty well for backpackers though
Old 25-09-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You may be right samft..I reckon I was just looking for someone to tell me that Jeep is way better and help me justify the extra coin . Honesty is the best policy I reckon so I will buy a JK but not because it is better, simply because it is what I like and if someone asks me what should they buy I'll say unless you like a Jeep better, buy a Patrol cos they are a dime a dozen and so are the spares :-D

EDIT: I reckon XJs are better value than the JKUs except for the fact that the engines run too hot .Pick an XJ for 2k, put 10-15k in it and it will be one hell of an off roader plus look bloody awesome doing it

Last edited by shai; 25-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 25-09-2017
Full Flexer

I dont disagree mate its got all the fruit and all damage and upgrades have been the result of pushing the boundaries which would have resulted in the same damage in a patrol or cruiser. Nearly every serious patrol has the front diff trusted as they bend, not as easily as a dana though. On road it is no different to drive than my patrol was but off road it shines where my patrol would be 3 wheeling and almost dangerous. Plus i love the ribbing my landtrol mates dish out at the beginning of a trip and the deafening silence once on the tracks. Every trip without fail a patrol overheats and an 80 series destroys a CV whilst my jk continues to impress. Granted you can buy a petty GQ or GU for $5-10K throw $5k at it and its a weapon but you cant run topless and they have no character working on my jeep is part of the attraction I know it end to end and its a labour of love. Jeep and Landrover owners have that in common, our 4x4's become an addiction/disease, plus the camaraderie amongst our circle cant be beat. The jap 4x4 guys just dont get it, they lie to each other and themselves that their 4x4 is flawless and never breaksdown. Yet in the next breath are bitching about the 3rd set of injectors, the auto trans issues and the axle studs that keep snapping. Dont forget the endless supply of 80series CV's. On a jeep when something breaks there are upgrade options,Jap guys keep replacing with oem stuff claiming never a worry with the bullet proof drivetrain.
Old 26-09-2017
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shai View Post
Thanks Johnboy but I am in WA
$275 for one way ticket $750 in fuel to get home make a 4 day sight seeing trip of it. I was quoted $2500 to truck jeep and trailer over for another guy.
Old 26-09-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Patrol better than a JK? On a Jeep forum?? Them's fightin' words!

No doubt the Patrol is a great 4x4 and it handily beats the JK when it comes to interior space but I would stop well short of saying any one is better than the other - they're too different. It's like comparing a butcher's cleaver with a breadknife.

Since I don't get to do much Pootroll-bashing these days... Everything that is oversized and over-engineered in the Patrol is that way because it has to be that way - offroad, you need a lot more force to get a Patrol to go where a JK goes with poise and grace.

Don't lose the habit of checking the temperature gauge with the 4.2 - it's not as bad as the XJ but it's not great either.