Quadra Lift over ride - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

OR2 is fairly self limiting, that's for sure!

I think you will find the problem with bigger tyres will be clearance from the suspension. That great lump of metal just above the top of the tyre will stop you fitting larger diameter tyres.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting stuff. Thanks Numb Thumbs!

I'd be especially interested in the possibility of moving higher than OR2, it would be very handy when you need that last little bit of clearance.

Sadly from what I've read, the higher you lift the vehicle using the air suspension the less wheel travel you have. RTI measurements which are already fairly bad for the WK2 go down the more you lift the vehicle. I believe this is because you are making the suspension stiffer the more air pressure you pump into the shocks to create the lift. Some manufacturers have combatted this by creating a cross axle system, so when one tire is pushed up, the air pressure passes across the axle to the other side and forces that tire down, creating more axle articulation.

But more clearance would be great, even if it were just for short periods or when stuck.
Old 22-03-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

It may be possible to get a few more millimetres out of the suspension above Off Road 2, but it certainly would only be for emergency use as there would be virtually no suspension travel.

The Discos cross link their air suspension, which seems like a great idea. We will have to make do with traction control and the Quadra-Drive II.

The current thinking is:

Aero (or maybe even a little lower) - user selectable

Off Road 1 - speed unlimited, just use common sense!

Off Road 2 - limited to current Off Road 1 speed limit.

Small extra height boost above Off Road 2 for emergency use only.

Any suggestions?? Let me know ASAP as I drive to Wagga early tomorrow morning...

I'll report back once I'm back in Melbourne.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds good.

I don't have much need for OR1 at higher speeds, but the extended OR2 height would be great, if the other driveline components can handle the increased height.

I suppose before I bought one, I'd want to know how easy it was to return to stock, as I'm sure it would not be good for my warranty.

Also, I've been talking with a company that makes custom air suspension components on the off chance they could provide something to replace the stock air struts on the WK2, and potentially provide a bit of lift or performance boost. The suspension has certain limits, (i.e. control arm length, driveline angles, etc.) that make lifting a WK2 beyond a certain point difficult, but before I can even investigate that, I'd need a way to connect the new air suspension components to the Jeep system and control them. can you ask your guy at LLAMs if he could theoretically create a system to control these replacement air struts?

Maybe we can be the first with a lifted Quadra-Lift WK2?
Old 23-03-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

We (well,I hold the torch and pass the tools ) are working on the module. Jeep have thrown a couple of curly ones at us, but it is looking good. Hopefully we will have it ready for a test drive today.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 23-03-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

The module is in and working. Tomorrow we will test drive and check everything out.

We will gain some height over Off Road 2 to use in an emergency.

I'll report in tomorrow...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 24-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds great... Looking forward to hearing your results.