WH 3.0v6 ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) Warning Light / Loss of Power - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

The power issue should not be related to disabling the swirl motor. The same swirl motor and flaps design has been used in every MB diesel since the late 90's. It's the same one in the 2.7 IL5 and also the 4 cyl's before that. I've never read any confirmed reports of the disabled swirl motor affecting performance in any way. The MB boys have been disabling them long before the WH came along so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Can't advise on the clearing code though as the 2.7 is a little different. When my code came up it didn't trigger a limp mode and I don't recall the MIL coming on. Code came up when a friend was clearing codes for another reason. It cleared itself fine. Can't see the value in the fancy plug myself either given it is just the exact same resistor just stuck in a nice little plug. Haven't heard of too many plain resistor mods failing and you can buy a truck load of them for that price. Not like it's stealth either with the wire hanging out of it.
Old 08-12-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Berko

I see that you have successfully done the resistor mod - well done. There is a variation on the simple resistor MOD and that is to insert the Shibby Engineering plug per the following web page.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/shibbyen...orsimplug.aspx

Shibby call it a Swirl Motor SIM Plug and even though it does pretty much the same as jamming the resistor into the existing plug, it gives a neater and probably more durable fix than the resistor and electric tape. I purchased one last year. I guess that you have to figure whether or not it's worth the $31 asking price, but I thought you would appreciate knowing about it as an alternate.

With respect to fuel consumption, I think that 11.2 L/100 Kms is not too bad. That's about what I get for about a 70/30 Hwy/City driving mix. Hwy only and you should get around the 10 L/100 Kms or a little better if you drive strictly for economy. Like you I have pondered the GDE tune, which comes very well recommended. However, I have not been able to justify the cost to myself. Still on the radar though!

Tim
Hi Tim,
I tried to order the plug from the website mentioned, but there was no option for overseas buyers, only US or Canada..
I asked the question, but no answer yet..
Old 08-12-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdv6 View Post
Hi Tim,
I tried to order the plug from the website mentioned, but there was no option for overseas buyers, only US or Canada..
I asked the question, but no answer yet..
I ordered it last year direct from Kurt at Shibby Engineering and they delivered international. This is the email address I used for Kurt: shibbyutman@hotmail.com

See post 260 on this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...8/index18.html

Hopefully the email is still active.

Tim
Old 18-12-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quick update for those like me that aren't electronic engineers.
So after i put the resistor in, i still had the mil light on and didnt have proper power back. I booked it into the dealer...and the day i dropped it off i took the resistors that i bought to show the electrical engineers at work. I had the wrong ones!
On the thread that i showed the girl at jaycar, it said to use a 4.7k resistor. She said that didnt actually exist and gave me 47k. The brains at work said, 'no, you need a 4k7'!...so back to jaycar, got a 4k7 1w, gave the dealer $130 for telling me theres nothing they can do (and there was some other code about cyl3 glo plug)...got home, new resistor in, and all good again! No more mil light straightaway...and all that power i remebered back!

Have ordered the plug from shibby as it mightnt be as temporary as a a resistor and leccy tape. Just need to order the new intake pipe now.
Old 18-12-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko82 View Post
Quick update for those like me that aren't electronic engineers.
So after i put the resistor in, i still had the mil light on and didnt have proper power back. I booked it into the dealer...and the day i dropped it off i took the resistors that i bought to show the electrical engineers at work. I had the wrong ones!
On the thread that i showed the girl at jaycar, it said to use a 4.7k resistor. She said that didnt actually exist and gave me 47k. The brains at work said, 'no, you need a 4k7'!...so back to jaycar, got a 4k7 1w, gave the dealer $130 for telling me theres nothing they can do (and there was some other code about cyl3 glo plug)...got home, new resistor in, and all good again! No more mil light straightaway...and all that power i remebered back!

Have ordered the plug from shibby as it mightnt be as temporary as a a resistor and leccy tape. Just need to order the new intake pipe now.
Your not the first to be caught out with a 47k resistor, but at least you have it figured out now.

Job well done
Old 19-12-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

If youre closer to Brissy and need a scan done let me know berko, i have a full scan tool at home.

Glad it all worked out though!
Old 19-12-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko82 View Post
i showed the girl at jaycar, it said to use a 4.7k resistor. She said that didnt actually exist and gave me 47k. The brains at work said, 'no, you need a 4k7'!...so back to jaycar, got a 4k7 1w.
Just to clarify 4.7kOhm is 4K7.
It's a convention used on elec. components, using a symbol in-place of a decimal point (which can be unreliable to print/read on schematics and boards.).
Most manufacturers use upper-case characters so the "K" still means "kilo" (as opposed to Kelvin.).
So 4K7 = 4700ohm, 4M7 4700000ohm, etc.

Not many engineers actually say "4K7" though, it's just how "4.7k" is written.
Strange for jaycar, most staff tend to be pretty good.
Post New Thread  Reply