Wrangler Tow Capacity.... for braked trialer? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the states, most TJ's come with the Dana 35c axle. That combined with the short wheelbase (and virtually zero load capacity of the rear springs) are the reason for the light tow ratings. Until 2000, we only had crap transmissions, which wouldn't hold up to high loads.

DC doesn't differentiate between brake systems, it's all about the wheelbase. You don't want to have the tail wag the dog.

My '04 Unlimited has a much higher tow capacity due to it's wheelbase alone. It's Dana 44 and auto tranny just help out a lot.

Obviously, DC warranties it's new sales, so they want to keep everything light.

That also doesn't say that I haven't been able to pull over 3500 lbs on an occasional basis problem free.
Old 04-10-2006
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

given how much shorter the drawbar is on the back on a TJ compared to just about any other jeep - I'd contend that they make for a very stable tow vehicle. Have you seen how long the tow bar toungue (which becomes a simple lever) is on the back of a KJ? how about that fact it has a D44 rather than a 35c like an XJ.

I'm not saying that other vehicles are not good - just that the ultra conservative approach didn't suit me - so I upgraded everything in a holistic manner so that the engineer would not have an issue (which he didn't).

The rear drawbar setup is made of of 60 mm RHS (6mm sidewall) means it is more than adequate for my vehicle - heck this is the same stuff they use for on truck setups! The rear disks did make a HUGE difference to the way the car brakes - mainly after one stop (after which the drums would stop working properly).

Do I think my car is safer than a suzi jimmny (higher towing capacity standard) - Hell yes!

Old 04-10-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So just confirming, as i'm looking at getting a trailer in a week or two, To be of any real use, my trailer has to be braked therefore up to 900kg load and trailer combined. If it isnt, it can only weigh 450kg - trailer and load combined. Is this correct?
Old 04-10-2006
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is correct
Old 04-10-2006
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Trailers regulations in QLD - once any trailer goes over 750kg (trailer and load) it must be braked, minimum requirements are mechanical brakes (cable operated).

So if your trailer is unbraked you cannot exceed 450kg, as that is your TJ's max capacity unbraked.