What did you do to your KJ today? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Picked up the 2" Lift Kit today from CRDStu, Car is booked in at Pedders next Wednesday! In the end i decided i didn't have enough time on the weekends at the moment and may as well get it done properly and have some warranty!
Now you just have to look at tyres mate and you'll be right for another drive with me
Old 10-01-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjextreme04 View Post
How much for the major and what gets done???
Said $200 for labour, $280 for trans service and flush, replace all oils, filters... Basically I've had my jeep for 6000kms and KJ has 140'kms on it so needed to get everything done/checked as I don't know much about service history.

I will do the next service myself...just wanted to start on a "clean slate".

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-01-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
Said $200 for labour, $280 for trans service and flush, replace all oils, filters... Basically I've had my jeep for 6000kms and KJ has 140'kms on it so needed to get everything done/checked as I don't know much about service history.

I will do the next service myself...just wanted to start on a "clean slate".

Sounds like me i've had mine for about 6000 klms and its just hit 150000 so wanted to give it the full once over. $ 200 sounds bloody cheap for labour on a full service. Is it worth changing the water pump when i do the belt even though it seems fine?
Old 10-01-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, i have had a bit of a mission that finally got completed today! The jeep was making some strange vibration noise at high speeds a few weeks ago,(more like 6 weeks), driveline issue for sure, got under there with a mechanic mate and worked out the front axle/CV was shot (right hand side of course, the long side), so said mate showed me what had had to come out and how to do it, boy! what a learning curve! undoing ball joints, steering knuckles and other assorted things i couldn't even name! any way got as far as the axle out on the ground to be rebuilt, he suggested i change the axle bearing and seal while in there,(that was another story getting that sucker out of there) but managed that and finally after a few spare weekends and nights, and ALSO replacing the rear hand brake assembly (another story!) The KJ is back on the road, and the wife is happy she has a car again! It was a hot sweaty few days working on the KJ, but i must say i have learnt a hell of a lot in the process, bit more confident of major bush break downs in relation to driveline stuff! (not that she'll ever break things!)
And all this was after replacing the transfer case shaft a while ago as well.
KJ is 10 years old now, she is starting to wear out all those things that will wear out!, but it has been 10 years of hassle free driving, don't mind having to spend some money on her now!
Old 11-01-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Good work NT, glad to hear your sticking with her - too many people just stick a for sale sign on them when they have a few problems. As you say, it's not unreasonable to have to do some major work after a decade. Just think your 1/3 of the way to it being considered a Classic Car!
Old 11-01-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Here is a little info about my latest KJ project: A Turbo Surge Protection system that doesn't depend on the EGR valve being operational.

In stock form the EGR valve is opened by the ECU to bleed off this pressure wave (which can damage the turbo vanes and bearings). GDE software also retains the stock dependancy on the EGR valve for this function. For anyone that is blocking off EGR completely this creates a problem - no surge protection function. Some turbos have surge protection collars built into the housing but not ours.

Solution: I have a small circuit that monitors throttle position and is adjustable to trigger a relay when you suddenly lift off the throttle (which causes a pressure wave back against the turbo vanes). Using the on board relay I can operate a 12V solenoid valve to dump the boost surge and protect the turbo. This solution bypasses the blocked EGR valve completely.

Here are a few photos of the system when I was testing it and setting up the delay programming (just click on them below and they will enlarge):

There is one of the small circuit board (which I bought from Jaycar - it was orignally designed to make brake lights come on as soon as you lift your foot off the throttle but can be used to drive the surge relay as well.

There is a photo of the 12V relay which I bought off ebay for $46. It's a real beast and works very fast. It's a 1" valve and can handle the boost pressure and not leak, it's also fuel and oil proof.

I tapped into the throttle sensor lead (brown/white) wire coming off the throttle connector, and this is the input to the circuit. The circuit monitors the sensor voltage transtion and triggers the valve relay when you lift off the throttle quickly (at the programmed level of liftoff and opening duration).

I had it all setup on the floor today for testing and programming and it seems to work just fine. I may need to make a small change to one of the throttle voltage transition sensing components because I would like it to be a little bit less sensitive, but it does work well enough as it is.

I am waiting on a couple of 1"NPT barbs for the valve and then it can all be put together and road tested.

The short EGR pipe from the intake to the EGR valve will be cut and a 1" pressure hose attached back to the valve. The valve will be vented to the atmo. The other side of the short EGR pipe will be closed off as it's no longer used.

Will return when all is assembled for testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0445.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	59197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0444.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	59198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0448.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	59199  

Last edited by glend; 11-01-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glend that is rocket science. This is what I read:

A Turbo surge protection system...is assembled for testing.