1978 CJ7 - rolling rebuild - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-12-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYROX View Post
The CJ looks great too.
Before you know you will have spent more on it ten a new JK.
But they don't have that coooool.
Cheers. I ordered last night the roller bearing for the lower steering column. Found a 6205 special with the 25.4 / 1" ID. Should be a good fit in theory. I found a good article from the holden guys modding their GM columns. I'm guessing the CJ's is similar.

I'm slowly working around the jeep, so the axles a way down as they don't have any serious issues (yet).

On the engine front I'm torn between an LS1, SBC, 304/360 AMC or an injected stroker. Licensing may force the decision as it sounds like a pain in the proverbial getting replacement engines approved. If anyone has first experience for the WA requirements I'd appreciate some feedback.

I worked on the the power steering hoses today. What a bear of a job! Space is tight between the crossmember, the grill and the front sway bar. I had to make a relief cut in the crossmember to allow the hydraulic connections to be exposed. There was no way the TJ pressure fitting was as exposed otherwise.

The upper return connection was straight forward to fit, the pressure side took hours to get solved. It turned out that the steel brake line that runs under the grill was slightly fouling the fitting. Pulled it to one side and the lines went in ok. I used some clamps I got from ENZED and laid out the lines before it was beer time.

I still don't have the steering pump fitted as it fouls the genie extractors that came with the jeep. I have in my hot hands a borla stainless system that just needs some hangers and a resonator or cat and in it goes... Assuming it fits the RHD auto... Their website did note clearance might be an issue. Might need a bend or two if there is an issue. One set of genie extractor available in the next were weeks for someone...

Some photos.... I cleaned up the radiator.. It was in good nick but full of 10 year old coolant. Took some flushing

Here's the powersteering lines. There is both a transmission cooler in the radiator and a rough as guts external unit that you can see here. I think it's days are numbered. Should I need both?

Last photo is a shot from underneath showing the steering box. If you look closely you can see the cut in the crossmember and the offending brake lines. The leak was me adding some hydraulic fluid to get the innards happy without tightening the connections
Old 31-12-2013
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

Yep that's about where the factory lines run.
Looks like you need the pulleys to drive the steering pump.
The later CJs had provision for a smog pump that fitted onto the pump bracket set up as well. I think the smog pump ran off a smaller pulley on the front of the steer pump.
Old 03-01-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default More work...

Over the past few days I've played around with the more superficial stuff on the jeep. The PO added a new wiring loom, but not everything was installed or working. I wired in the quadratrac dash light and the brake warning lights, but was stopped by there being no light fittings in the gauge unit. Bugger. Ordered some LED versions on ebay and hopefully these will fit.

I had a look at the vapor hoses and figured out where the canister was installed. Passenger side, mounted low in the firewall. The mounts appear to be three studs, 2 vertical with one off to the side. It's not a standard CJ mount. Anyone know what vehicles shared this mount? I'll get it all going again if I can.

I also looked at the heater assembly. Again not US standard CJ gear. Did Aus jeeps get another vehicles heater?

I also wired in the immobiliser for security. I hate cutting into good wiring... But I guess it's a bloody good idea.

I did get the turbo 400 trans electric kick down going. Removed the old melted wiring from the exhaust and refitted the kickdown assembly and switch. Works well.
Old 09-03-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Want part no for Bilstein shocks,

Want part no for Bilstein shocks, I got 79 model, 360amc upgrade, th400 trans, Quadatrac trans, AMC 20 rear Dana 30 front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottieb View Post
Thanks.

I ordered the ARB springs locally, got bilstein shockies out of the US and used ARB shackles, Crabtree front spring mounts and new spring plates to get a working combination on the suspension. It isn't an overly hard job, but having good tools helps. Two jacks is definitely handy.

The end result is pretty good. The car sits higher, looks better and rides a lot nicer.

Attachment 65929
Old 09-03-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Do a AMC 360 with some upgrade bits, should increase the value to a real jeep buyer
That I what have 79 model all AMC stuff or OEM stuff
Old 27-03-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Quadra trac transfer case

I've been working slowly on the jeep for the past few months. I'll post photos and more info on this soon, but one of my current issues is the transfercase. I've split it open to replace the worn chain and found one of the clutch packs in the limited slip diff inside the transfer case has worn splines. It's a pain as the otherwise is fine. I can convert to part time 4wd with a mile marker kit, but these are on back order.

Does anyone have a clutch or old quadra trac t case lying around?

Cheers

Scott
Old 27-03-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Default 1978 CJ7 - rolling rebuild

I have an old quaddy case which you can have for bugger all ( like a slab of beer ), as I changed to a Dana 300 in mine a couple years ago. I live on the nsw/vic boarder
Post New Thread  Reply