JK Headlight replacement globes - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

@Banshee,
I'm in Sydney here lapping up the wet! I have ordered some of the Narva +130's and will see how they go after installation. I believe Melphus is also contemplating a lighting upgrade for his beast, so he may possibly be a contender for some lights as well?
Old 05-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I am a bit cautious about replacing just the bulbs. My wiring to the headlight bulbs is woefull. On the drivers side there is a a good 3-5 mm of missing insulation where it enters the put and the copper is not all corroded and brittle.

I will get around the replacing it, but considering my OBDC port has stopped working I need to fix that first
Old 05-08-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

We used phillips globes with Narva reflectors. Cost $200-$300. Its not Speaker performance, but a massive improvement on the stocks candle holders.
Old 05-08-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts

Working at a major autoparts supplier I've been able try out several combinations of globes and reflectors.

After trying several combo's I've settled on Narva 72000 polycarbonate inserts with Phillips +130 H4 globes.

Best combination of halogen globe and reflector I've tried. One of the best features is the ability to do river crossing with the headlights left on, (try that with glass!), especially at night.
The pic below is crossing the Murray river at Tom Groggin.

The LED inserts I've tried all have the same issues, too much reflection from pale coloured objects on and near the road and in the wet not enough contrast with lane markings.
I actually know of a Rubicon owner working at a well known Jeep parts supplier who went from JW Speaker to the Narva inserts due to reflection issues.
Old 06-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I bought narva plus 130 and have Britax inserts on the way. Ill take some comparison photos and keep you post them once they come
Old 06-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Yeah, I replaced the stock globes with H4 Osram Nightbreakers......good upgrade and excellent value (paid $49). Good usable low beam....for my high beam I have a 20" LED combo bar and two Vision X Light Cannon LED spots......so the headlight high beam performance isn't an issue.
For the OP...I believe only LED headlights need anti-flicker...some are now built into the light itself.
The jw evo 2 j models apparently have anti flicker built in. I can tell you that my light bars which ran off a relay tapped into the high beam wire went berserk when the not j model evo 2 speakers went in.
You could hear the relay buzzing.

Last edited by mick666; 06-08-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2016
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Right: Narva Blue Power +100 globe in Britax 7" insert
Left: LED 'globe' in Britax 7" insert (after adjusting it way down so the scattered light wouldn't blind oncoming drivers.)

Right: Narva Blue Power +100 globe in Britax 7" insert
Left: JW Speaker EVO 2

Hope you can all see these.