WK2 around Australia - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2014
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Cheers Steve and good luck with the purchase. Why don't you try swapping cars with a member here or SJC for a week's test drive say. That'll beneficial to both.

I reckon go for the diesel Q/L.
Old 06-08-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRubicon View Post
I did 8000km round trip last Christmas from the NT to SA,VIC,NSW including some off road romping in the snowy mountains. Drive was with my wife and two small boys, and all the luggage we needed for 5 weeks away (no camping). I'm still in stock suspension and it was a comfortable trip all round in the wrangler. If I was doing this kind of trip more often I would probably look a the Grand Cherokee or the new Cherokee as a more efficient road tripper with a bit more of the urban comforts that come from a different driving position.

I'm with Benn0 on the part availability. A Prado or Cruiser is going to have many more parts available in remote areas, our local Jeep shop is back logged 3weeks+ on the simplest parts sometimes.

If you damage a wheel, you are likely to be waiting a while too, as nothing seems to be available in the standard jeep bolt pattern once you leave the capital cities.

Perhaps back track your vehicle purchase by looking at the size van you are planning on pulling in the future. If you are planning on pulling a 23' dual axle van, maybe opt for the heavier towing capacity of the 200series, or a Disco? A Grad could do it, but it might struggle on the hills and decent headwinds
I have a GU patrol ute 4.2 with td05 18g turbo running 25 psi cross country intercooler bla bla towing a 23 foot van and now have a GC limited the GC diesel friggin eats it.The GC has 3.5t towing capacity.

I'm on holidays from friday meeting a mate who owns a prado - dropped a piston last week after 120k ( and they call patrol 3L hand grenades ). So he went and traded his second car on a new 4by. He bought a Jeep.

Ring around your toyota dealers and see how many carry alloy wheels in spare parts stock in remote areas.

As far as parts go i ordered all hoses,belts,filters etc as spares for my trip from the US.
Landed in a week and at about a 75% saving on local dealers who didnt have most of the gear in stock.

So a bit of planning you can travel remotely in confidence with a great vehicle. Which has way better fuel economy and performance than my modified patrol.

Leggo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-08-2014
asp_777
Visitor

Thanks leglessone great points
Old 07-08-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeglessOne View Post
As far as parts go i ordered all hoses,belts,filters etc as spares for my trip from the US.
Landed in a week and at about a 75% saving on local dealers who didnt have most of the gear in stock.
Im heading off doing the great central road and some of the old ghan railway in SA - Interested to know what hoses/belts/filters you thought were worthwhile spares to carry around - I might do the same...

Maybe even the website you ordered from?

Thanks in advance..
Old 07-08-2014
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've got a wk2 crd - I have a roofrack that can take 300kg - got from Double black off road - Gobi rack pictures on DBOR website
Also have the UNEEK4x4 bar - mainy due to underbody protection it offers over the ARB - plus has recovery both sides

The grand has its limitations(IFS) etc but for a tow touring vehicle it is pretty hard to beat
Old 07-08-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

We are on our way back from a loop from Melbourne up througb Cameron Corner, Innamincka, Birdsville, Mt Isa, Lawn Hill, Cloncurry, Dinosaur Triangle then out to Townsville and back home. Towing a 1.5 tonne camper. We have been travelling with others towing the same camper but driving a Prado, 200 series and a twin cab ute.

The Jeep ate all of them. I had 20% better fuel economy than the 200 series, beat the Prado on fuel and power - he needed low range on the dunes, I sailed up in high range - and it was much more comfortable while doing it.

It will 10,000 comfortable kms by the time we are back home.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 07-08-2014
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgus View Post
Im heading off doing the great central road and some of the old ghan railway in SA - Interested to know what hoses/belts/filters you thought were worthwhile spares to carry around - I might do the same...

Maybe even the website you ordered from?

Thanks in advance..
I got the gear from moparamerica.com

Got 2 serpentine belts, bottom rad hose, also while looking at the breakdown for the cooling system I noticed a little heater hose so got that as well. They didn't have a top hose in stock so just gunna bodge that if I have to.

Main reason for belt and bottom hose is sticks - you will be amazed at where the bastards can get if you happen to run over one and it rolls or breaks.

Got spare oil, air and fuel filters as well.

All up was $285 landed at my door.

Will buy more spares as the car gets older - at 10,000 k's I think that should cover any unforseen events.

Local would have been over $790

Leggo
Post New Thread  Reply