Exhaust Service Needed - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
The dpf comes off, a little fiddly but can be done then send it away to be stripped and cleaned, was around $600, and you know it will be as good as new. That is assuming the dpf is the problem. Wait 4 the codes to confuse the issue

I can deal with that bob....as you say....codes first....I believe I've contributed to this event in a large way...firstly by overfilling it at the last oil change/service(has done 8k since and majority of that was towing...upside there is I had the pleasure of making your acquaintance)and then by using it to travel less than a few k's for weeks on end.....and you can add my failure to add a catch can, which was/is on my to do list from purchase 35,000 klms ago....all three combined are directly attributed to the 'nut behind the wheel'....should have performed at least an oil change when I returned from 'the adventure'...fresh oil and the correct amount would both have minimised the chances of crud filling the intake, hence DPF....and the catch can would also decrease the crud being 'breathed in'....add the 'less than 50C' max engine temp and I believe I 'contrived' the perfect environment for the dash to complain....how many agree with my assessment ?

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 14-12-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

The up side is drover you live some where close to the open road to give it a hand...when mine starts a burn around suburbia I drop it a gear or 2 and keep the revs up to around the the 2000rpm level...I have even sat in the car park and revved it to around 2000rpm for a time to help out if I have got to where I was going...

It's weird, the exhaust temp will begin to fall from the high 600's as it does it's burn to the low 500's making me think it is nearly done, then it goes back up again like having a 2nd go for another 5 minutes...

Pita with the cooling fan screaming it's head off the whole time though...
Old 14-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

I think its a nice drive at 80kph so that would even leave out the city freeways except at 0200 dark, yes I.m lucky in that mine can do a burn on a round trip to boat ramp, 15kms, Rainbow Beach at 40 kms return or Dan Murphys for the big burn at 150km round trip.................

Pete you just drove over too many chinamen I reckon , talk about luck... probably time to drop all fluids, spray every sensor in reach, get the box thrown on the bench for a big time enema and all should be sorted, then a good polish, put on display in shed and leave it alone......

So first buy a shed.................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 14-12-2022
Rock Munki

Your a funny man Drover...thats why I like you...you did make some valid points and thats appreciated...but not as much as the belly laugh you provided....CHEERS

Old 14-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Your a funny man Drover...thats why I like you...you did make some valid points and thats appreciated...but not as much as the belly laugh you provided....CHEERS
When it all goes to Sh*t best thing is too laugh...............

Old 14-12-2022
Rock Munki

OUTCOME :

Got the codes read with All Grand Cherokee on the phone
CODE: P2002...DPF Effiency below threshold (image attached)
Forced Regen of DPF was performed.
No codes remained after clearing the codes prior the regen.
Instructed by AGC to perform an Oil and Oil Filter change ASAP after Forced Regen.

Follow up:
Bought service gear required.
Will be under car doing a service this arvo.

Advice received:
3.0lt Diesels in these rigs require 7.7lts of Oil at change, including Filter.
Fill with 7lts. Run for 30 seconds. Add until full mark OR 7.7lt has been reached. DO NOT OVERFILL. Overfilling creates to much internal Oil pressure and will cause damage, or will be sucked into the intake.
Monitor codes after Oil and Filter Change. This service must be carried after a forced Regen has been performed, to remove crud from the engine block and Oil itself.
If same codes return, a DPF replacement is recommended. Internals may have reached 'lifes end'.

Side advice:
Drive it likes its stolen. They love it !

Costs :
$60 for my RAA man to read codes, clear codes and perform the forced Regen.
$230ish for Fuel n Oil Filters, 6lt of 5w-40 FS Penrite Enviro Oil (DPF compatible, and given the nod by AGC...I have some left in the 10lt drum I used to do the last service...the weight of the drum didnt help BUT did assist in the overfill).
An afternoon on the concrete doing what I should have done straight after my return from 'the adventure'...around 1500klms ago...or 10 weeks ago....Im so pissed off with myself for not at least dropping the oil after the 'torture' I put the car threw on that trip...silly as a wheel...thought we got wiser as we got older...I wasnt in the queue for that one...damn fool I am

I have been offered a provent catch can system from our much loved 'sub marine operator' and am in the process of getting that sorted and mailed to outerbeyondbourkesville.

MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT ASSISTED and guys...YOU WERE RIGHT !

Last edited by FARWEST; 14-12-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Attach image
Old 14-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Well thats good news Pete, we won't say "We Told You So" I'm sure we will save that to around the campfire, when the pain of it all has subsided and we can laugh it all away ................. ... then again bound to be something else, when I get over there for a visit I will park out of town and use a hire car to visit, just in case its contagious..............

Seriously I'm bluddy glad its sorted, no need to flog it or drive it like a 2 stroke Suzuki just let it run with the wind,on cruise though as you don't need any more bills...

PS: might have my own dramas coming soon, I bluddy well hope not.

Post New Thread  Reply