My house build... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Wrapped right now....... About an hour ago I found a GT ad with bathroom membrane. Half and bucket and half roll of tape, for $70. I had no way of getting to pay for and collect it as it was in Launceston an hour and half away. However I posted a request on FB and a friend from work has sent her husband around to get it for me. This is so good, considering retail on a full tub and roll is over 300 bucks. The tub was only opened a week ago so will be still good for me to apply next weekend. It might not be quite enough to do both the bathroom and laundry but I reckon if I scratch around I could possibly find someone with just enough to finish both rooms. Even if I get the bathroom done that would be just grand.

Regards A
Old 10-10-2015
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
Wrapped right now....... About an hour ago I found a GT ad with bathroom membrane. Half and bucket and half roll of tape, for $70. I had no way of getting to pay for and collect it as it was in Launceston an hour and half away. However I posted a request on FB and a friend from work has sent her husband around to get it for me. This is so good, considering retail on a full tub and roll is over 300 bucks. The tub was only opened a week ago so will be still good for me to apply next weekend. It might not be quite enough to do both the bathroom and laundry but I reckon if I scratch around I could possibly find someone with just enough to finish both rooms. Even if I get the bathroom done that would be just grand.

Regards A
Can you tell me what the stuff is please ? All sounds good though.
Old 10-10-2015
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
Can you tell me what the stuff is please ? All sounds good though.
Ardex WPM Rapid

Regards A
Old 10-10-2015
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
Ardex WPM Rapid

Regards A
Awesome stuff that AG.
Prime sheets with water and a little "bond crete" first, or wash all dust off and let dry before use.
Old 10-10-2015
MonsterMoose

Started work on the vanity today. I managed to sand down as much of it as I could with the belt sander. The rest I couldn't get to. Plan is to get some paint stripper next week and get the varnish of the hard to reach places, then give it a quick sand. Wish I had given it some more thought when I was at Becks last Friday. Might slip around the corner from work this week and check Bursons to see if they have a small tin of stripper, Becks is a 30min walk away unfortunately. Here is a couple of pics for starters. The drawers were a bit ordinary had some wear on the runners, plus a couple of splits and not to mention nails where they were not supposed to be. I had to break up some thin ply for the drawer runners to help pack out the splits and glued it in with exterior aquadere. Also added a thin strip of pine to one of the drawer runners and glued it in place as there was a lot of wear on that side runner. It was bad enough that the drawers were kicking out at the bottom. The slides inside the dresser were really grooved out too. I was going to get some bog and fill the grooves in. But I remembered I had some resin in the shed; so I have filled the groove in with that. Only thing is I was a bit light on with the catalyst and it still hasn't set after 3hrs. Only now is it just starting to gel. I was planning on sanding the slides down this eve; now it might be a few days... Drawer with the bottom out of it will be cut in half to allow for the S-bend.

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 10-10-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

Hey mate, I'm a plumber and building a house as well but its not going so well. My advice to you is to get licensed trades to do your work. For a example a licensed water proofer needs to guarantee his/her work for 10 years and if some thing should happen without a certificate 2 things can happen you'll never get your occupancy by your surveyor or you won't get insurance if there's a leak. Also as a owner builder if you decide to sell the property and something was to happen you will be liable for any defects/repairs. So it might be a pain and set you back a few weeks hear and there but trust me it will be worth knowing that the house is to code and you've done it right.

Good luck with it :thumbup:
Old 10-10-2015
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang0 View Post
Hey mate, I'm a plumber and building a house as well but its not going so well. My advice to you is to get licensed trades to do your work. For a example a licensed water proofer needs to guarantee his/her work for 10 years and if some thing should happen without a certificate 2 things can happen you'll never get your occupancy by your surveyor or you won't get insurance if there's a leak. Also as a owner builder if you decide to sell the property and something was to happen you will be liable for any defects/repairs. So it might be a pain and set you back a few weeks hear and there but trust me it will be worth knowing that the house is to code and you've done it right.

Good luck with it :thumbup:
I wish I have $600 for labour to get a fella out to do the membrane but I don't. My tiler mate is arriving from Sydney in four weeks and I am still yet to find money for tiles. Call out fee alone is $350 a day to get professionals on site. I'm fortunate that I have two builder mates who have helped me do the technical stuff. Plumbing has all been done by an accredited plumber as has the electrical. You have no choice in that. My build is going fine so far the only issue I have had is not able to access finance. I go without everyday to be able to come up with just $500 a month to spend on my house. Going without I mean I have not owned a vehicle for 12 months and I have had to share the costs of the 95km trip to work each day. I only have 12 months before my permit expires and I have no idea if I can get the house completed by then. Getting a tradie one day two months it would take me 30 years to complete the build. Unfortunately Tassie wages in my industry are $8 an hour less than I can get on the mainland. Yet most tradesmen are $95-$100 an hour is Tassie. Council are signing off on all my work. Two weeks ago the frames were signed off. As far as liability goes council are liable down here as they are the ones signing off each stage. Everything is going fine and is extremely unlikely that there will be any issues from the way this house has been built. Thanks for your concern though.

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 10-10-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply