Grand Cherokee vs 200 series - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Here's something to throw a spanner in the works.........prior to buying the WH Grand early last year, I had a new Disco 4.
I regularly tow heavy trailers, boats etc.
The first thing I noticed with the WH with its solid rear axle, is that it is more stable in the rear end than the independent rear end of the Disco, when towing.
Now I know that we are comparing the WK2, not the WH, but my point is that in my case, it was the solid rear end that made the difference, not the weight, as the Disco weighs in at around 400Kg heavier than the WH.

My 2c worth........

Cheers, Craig
Old 28-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yeah, that was one of the points my FIL was making, he wouldn't tow heavy trailers with an independent rear.
Old 28-07-2014
Established Member

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts

Hi Craig,
I have towed the same caravan (1960kg tare and add at least 500 kg for what we add to it) with both the WH & WK2 MY14 with QL and I can not pick the difference in stability on the road between the solid axle and independent rears. Both vehicles have been excellent for me so it is interesting to hear the comment on the Disco.
Regards MikeY
Old 28-07-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Toss in what the USA guys say about towing caravans
see:http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

The difference to EU is USA runs with WDH, SWAY Control friction type, more powerfull trailer brake controllers than what we have here.

see page 26 JGC 3 LTR CRD 3200KG towing caravans
LC 200 page 27 V8 5 ltr 3777kg towing caravans

Typically 1000kg higher towing capacities vs EU and what some are recommending here.
Old 28-07-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Why are we comparing a GC with a 200 series Cruiser? They are not even in the same vehicle class. Talk about apples and oranges. Should be comparing like for like guys. I'm just sayin....
Old 28-07-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

They may not be in the same class but people cross shop them, especially people wanting to tow caravans so I guess the comparisons are relevant.
Old 28-07-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffa View Post
Why are we comparing a GC with a 200 series Cruiser? They are not even in the same vehicle class. Talk about apples and oranges. Should be comparing like for like guys. I'm just sayin....
I tend to agree with scruffa the 200 series is considered a large 4x4 whereas the GC is regarded as a medium 4x4 are they not ?

On a recent carvanning trip throughout western Qld we were passed by a 200 series towing a 21ft bushtracker at 100k plus and the van was wagging it's tail down the road the driver was going to fast for the combined weights. If the van had received a puncture I doubt if the 200 series would had been able to control the situation. It's fine having all these ratios but speed should come into play. You see so many caravans that are not set up level, some are clearly overloaded... vans and vehicles, with tinnies on top and they are doing 100ks.

I personally think there should a maximum speed limit for towing caravans of 90k. Between Goondiwindi and Moonie there's a warning sign regarding high incidents of caravan accidents on this stretch... I spoke to a highway patrol officer at Moonie and he informed me that these incidents are mainly caused by a combination of van and vehicle overloading and speed for the conditions.

When I went through there last year the speed had been dropped to 90k

I tow with a WH CRD, caravan 2.5 tonne and I sit on 85k's...90k plus feels too fast.

Qld Transport are starting to do roadside checks of caravan set ups...there was one just outside Cloncurry in June and one earlier this year just north of Rockhampton from what I heard both caused a bit of panic with a lot of water being emptied from tanks.
Post New Thread  Reply