Anyone using MT / Rs? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-05-2013
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Default Anyone using MT / Rs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN445 View Post
I was recently in the same position as you are currently mate, and ended up ditching the idea of both the MTR's & the KM2's and went with Mickey Thompson MTZ's and couldn't be happier. Both the MTR's (Kevlar) & KM2's look like an awesome tyre, but after spending a few hours researching both, I decided to steer well clear of them. The MTR's have a poor life expectancy, are very expensive and do not perform well in mud and are dangerous in the wet on road. The KM2's have slightly better performance, however are also expensive and have a short life expectancy. I am the first to admit that the MTZ's are not the greatest tyre on the market, but they came in at around $65 cheaper per tyre ($330 for a set of 5) and have a much longer life expectancy (20-30,000 k's, even more if looked after well). That being said, I was pretty limited in my options due to wanting 315/70/17's. If you are going smaller, or can afford to wait a few weeks, I would seriously be looking into the Toyo Open Countries. The Federal Couroga's (I can never get the spelling right) have also been getting a lot of good reviews and seem to be one of the best "bang for buck" tyres available at the moment...
I think your comparing the original MTR's which were terrible in the wet & very noisy, the new pattern are a completely different tyre & wear well, & don't suffer any of the same issues as the original, (we used to run the originals on our mine vehicles)
Your right about the MTZ's, I got 45k before I passed them on, mainly used off road & was very pleased with them, even 3/4 worn out they performed better than a set of new KM2's on the same trip in the muddy clay of northern nsw & glasshouse mtns.
best part of the km2's is they are fairly quiet on the road compared to the other tyres I have tried, but I Can live with a bit of noise for better performance, Km2's make a great touring tyre but not much chop for wheeling

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 27-05-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
Nan445, thanks for your thoughts. You got a good price on the MTZs, particularly for the size. Clearly pays to shop around. Have you used either the KM2s or MT / Rs?
Happy to help mate! I know first hand how time consuming and frustrating it is trying to work out what to buy... Definitely pays to shop around mate! If you are in Brisbane, Fourby's @ Marooka are definitely worth a call! I have had 2 sets of the original MTR's on my old dual cab Hilux (1 set of 35's, 1 set of 37's) and I loved them! Awesome all round tyre that I absolutely punished (dual cab Hilux, twin locked, commo v6, pretty much on limiter everywhere I went lol) and they took everything I could throw at them! Mud, rock, sand, road... Never had the KM2's, and never will after what my research found on them! Same as the new Kevlar MTR's... nice looking tyre, but they are expensive, get low mileage and aren't all that great off road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
I think your comparing the original MTR's which were terrible in the wet & very noisy, the new pattern are a completely different tyre & wear well, & don't suffer any of the same issues as the original, (we used to run the originals on our mine vehicles)
Your right about the MTZ's, I got 45k before I passed them on, mainly used off road & was very pleased with them, even 3/4 worn out they performed better than a set of new KM2's on the same trip in the muddy clay of northern nsw & glasshouse mtns.
best part of the km2's is they are fairly quiet on the road compared to the other tyres I have tried, but I Can live with a bit of noise for better performance, Km2's make a great touring tyre but not much chop for wheeling

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk
No mate, specifically researched the new Kevlar MTR's... As I said above, I have had 2 sets of the original MTR's in the past and loved them, so it was a massive call for me to steer clear of the new ones! The thing with MTZ's is, they have been around for a loooooong time, and ALOT of people have them on some very serious trucks! To me, that speaks volumes! If they where/are a shit tyre, we wouldn't see as many of them around as we do! Especially when 9 times out of 10, they are on the high end of the price range... That's my theory anyway! Lol
Old 27-05-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yetiboy01, your right the old Goodyear MT are a totally different model tyre that had some handling and ware issues that most of that era MT tyres had. I think Mickey Thompson got bought out by Coopers tyre in the 90's. Coopers have recently released a new mud tyre that has had some good press. They claim that they Coopers slip sideway on rock sometimes that unnerves people. A lot of the blokes I wheel with run MTZ and KM2 and punch on about which are better. We should get together and do our own tests.
Old 09-06-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Well guys at this stage I am still tyre-less. Although I understood the MT/Rs were available in my size they are not...

What are people's thoughts on the Nitto Trail Grapplers???

Thisadu, you mentioned them. Have you got them yet?
Old 09-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Anyone using MT / Rs?

Ive heard the mileage is great and they r a great all round tyre in the class of the toyo mt and mtr but havent got them yet.
Dont think ive heard anyone with them in aus yet tho
Also heard they r a very heavy tyre again like the toyo mt
Im planning on a set of them but not until next year so itll be a while before I can give u feedback on them lol
Old 09-06-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I am thinking that the e loading plus the weight would make them really stiff. Might be okay if I was airing down stupidly low on bead locks for the rubicon trail, but alas I am not! They seem to be getting great wraps though.
Old 09-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Anyone using MT / Rs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
I am thinking that the e loading plus the weight would make them really stiff. Might be okay if I was airing down stupidly low on bead locks for the rubicon trail, but alas I am not! They seem to be getting great wraps though.

Spose it depends on size? For 35s there's
35x12.5r17 which comes in e rating and
315/70r17 whicg comes in d rating.
Pretty much same sorta size but different ratings
Post New Thread  Reply