wk2 2012 rear recovery with tow bar? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzzy View Post
There seems to be a difference of opinion as to wether the towbar is actually rated for recovery with a snatch strap, my genuine towbar has a warning on it stating for trailer use only and trailer weight specs. Would be nice to get some official clarification on this. Seems to me the weight on the towbar from a 2t trailers drawbar is a lot different than snatching a 2 ton bogged dead weight, just my thoughts.
A manufacturer would never rate a tow bar for recovery purposes, as it's not their main purpose. It also opens them up to all sorts of litigation when something inevitably goes wrong because of mis-use.

Having said that, a properly installed high quality towbar with a purpose made recovery point in it should cope with a snatch. You only need to look at the recovery hook, which is only mounted to one point on the car frame, and compare it to the overall towbar arrangement which is attached to two points on the frame with twice as many bolts.

The only weak point i'd suggest is the towbar pin itself. If you put the snatch strap directly on the pin, then as fester mentioned you risk bending it and finding it difficult to remove. Also if you do use a recovery hitch within the towbar receiver, make sure you inspect the pin before and after any recovery in case of any shear damage.
Old 29-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Bomber says - towbar is best recovery point. Original hook is good to have in case you''re in some tricky position, or an extreme hurry. My 2012 model has both.
Old 29-03-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvas View Post
A manufacturer would never rate a tow bar for recovery purposes, as it's not their main purpose. It also opens them up to all sorts of litigation when something inevitably goes wrong because of mis-use.

Having said that, a properly installed high quality towbar with a purpose made recovery point in it should cope with a snatch. You only need to look at the recovery hook, which is only mounted to one point on the car frame, and compare it to the overall towbar arrangement which is attached to two points on the frame with twice as many bolts.

The only weak point i'd suggest is the towbar pin itself. If you put the snatch strap directly on the pin, then as fester mentioned you risk bending it and finding it difficult to remove. Also if you do use a recovery hitch within the towbar receiver, make sure you inspect the pin before and after any recovery in case of any shear damage.
X2 what savvas said!
Old 29-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every 4wd training course I've been on says use the tow hitch. Preferably the unit which replaces the tow ball with a purpose built shackle, if not then the strap loop inside the receiver with the pin through it. Manufacturers would never endorse it due to the risk of litigation when done by complete idiots. They have to protect themselves from every possibility.
Post New Thread  Reply