engine rpm v speed - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-06-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've had a chance to get out on teh road and this is what I've found.
(2006 KJ CRD+auto, OEM sized tyres [235/65R16]) Speeds are by the speedo in front of me

Starting from a standstill and going with the flow of traffic, the Tx will change into 5th gear ~95kph and then lock the TCC ~102kph.
There are no gear changes above that and if I get up to 125kph then slow down to 110kph the taco shows ~2k.

@phum I'm interested to find out what yours is doing that mine isn't and why cause I'm curious now as I can't replicate your findings no matter what I do.
Old 21-06-2019
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

I have a original GDE transmission control module, which uses different shift points to the standard KJ 545RFE (as used on the CRD). GDE used to offer custom TCMs that allow owners to set shift points (up and down) in order to set up the vehicle for their needs. There are at least two versions in fairly wide release in the US, but to my knowledge I have the only GDE TCM in Australia. It was purchased years ago direct from Keith at GDE when I was doing export model development testing for them. It was impossible to flash the TCM, and it had to be swapped with one Keith sent to me. It is a fairly big job to swap the TCM in the CRD because of its location tucked up high on the firewall behind the AC canister, stuff needs to be moved, including the cable housing on the firewall.
I wanted the GDE TCM because the darn stock unit would hunt back and forth around 80kph, it simply was never in the right gear it seemed. And towing with it was a nightmare. The GDE TCM tune allowed lugging the engine down to well below 1500rpm in 5th and it would pull away from there without downshifting if you did so gently. It would also shift from 4th to 5th earlier than the stock setup, so there was no need to race up to a high speed up to force the shift and then back down to where you wanted to cruise. I should point out that this was "lock to lock" shifting, meaning the torque converter was locked up Something not possible under stock TCM tunes). I found that my fuel economy improved significantly on long trips, especially when towing my camper, although running the GDE full torque ECM tune also played a role there, as I had significantly more torque available. I don't know if GDE still is in the business of TCM tuning, must check on that.
BTW, fuel economy, highway not towing, with 255/70r16s (on 16x8" rims) was 6L/ 100kms. Abit more with 245/70s On stock rims.

Edit. Just checked, GDE still shows TCM swaps on its website, the first one listed below most closely resembles the programming in my custom unit, here:

https://www.greendieselengineering.c.../-/2_13.action

https://www.greendieselengineering.c...une/2_9.action

Last edited by glend; 21-06-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply