WK2 Roof rack - roof strength? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-03-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinesh87 View Post
I am getting the RRO adventure rack. I will post my findings next week !
If you don't mind me asking - what was the total cost of this?

Thanks

Kev
Old 15-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev. View Post
If you don't mind me asking - what was the total cost of this?

Thanks

Kev
I got quoted about $500 shipping to brisbane for the rails, rack, tyre mount and light bar - total just under $1000. It looks like an awesome bit of kit - plenty of people in the states have put there full size spare and more up there with no problems. I've gone a cheaper option with the whispbar racks and roof cage on special at supercheap. No where near as solid, but I needed it quick (for Easter). Might still get RRO down the track...
Old 15-03-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Kev

Was $900

Stupid I know but I like it haha, with all the parts!
Old 16-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinesh87 View Post
Kev

Was $900

Stupid I know but I like it haha, with all the parts!
Love to see some pics once youve got it installed. Any concerns about weight with the rro rack? Ive seen it fully loaded over in the us but it doesnt add up to me. the mounts take 68kg, the rails/rack is 30 itself, spare 30, two Jerry cans + a highlift jack has got to exceed that?
Old 21-03-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
Hi,
I have the Rhino platform tray. I agree there is a bit of deflection but not to the extent you mention. Must say I would probably be concerned on puting a spare up there unless it was central to the rack for even weight spread
Hi Thommo,

I picked up my Platform rack today in Black.

I also got the spacers for the rear - they don't seem to fit?! Is there any chance you can get me a couple of photos of how the spacer sits and bolts to the leg and/or the frame?

Thanks,

Kev.
Old 21-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

Thanks for all the info and the photos.

I've been trying to decide on a roof rack for my WK2. Something to hold my spare, hi-lift jack, shovel and maybe a few other things when I head off road for a few weeks. I've settled on a Rhino Rack system, but not sure which model. My wife wants me to put the rack on for off road trips, and leave it off for around town. So I'm a bit curious how easy they are to take on/off.

I really like the look of the Pioneer Tray.
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...-Trays_72.aspx

Thommo, nice colour on your WK2. A few Qs. What size did you get? How does it fit around the antenna in the back? Does it seem sturdy enough to handle a spare? How easy is it to take on/off? Is there room on the sides for a hi-lift?

I'm also curious about the Pioneer Platform.
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...rm_623_68.aspx

Jeep56, thanks for the photos, it is a big help. A few Qs. What size did you get? How easy is it to take on/off? Since it has no sides, is is easier to take things on/off the rack? Have you tried your spare up there yet?

I'm also considering one of the Steel Mesh Baskets.
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...ket_125_9.aspx

They are cheaper and seem easy to take on/off, but I'm not really sure how they'll look up there.

Has anyone tried any of the accessories?

Spare Wheel Holder
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...ER_186_49.aspx

Hi-Lift Jack Holder
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...ET_121_26.aspx

Folding Ladder, (might make getting a spare on/off the vehicle much easier).
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...Type_3_23.aspx

Luggage Bag
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...rType_3_4.aspx

I've posted a few photos of my WK2, before and after the installation of the rock rails.

Trying to get everything sorted for a 9 day Camping/Offroading trip down to Coffs Harbour April 25th - May 4th. Always nice to have another vehicle along, if anyone's interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	off-road-tires-off-road-2.1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	60714   Click image for larger version

Name:	off-road-tires-3-4-rear.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	60715  
Old 21-03-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smick looking rig Bmackin! Especially the rims and bighorns!
Post New Thread  Reply