UK 2.7CRD cold starting - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-11-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It did yes, hence the stage I am at now
Old 28-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Same problem

Hello mate. I'm based in the uk also and have the same problem. there is enough charge in the battery and the engine turns over fast. The first sign of cold, the only way it will start is with squirting easy start in the pipe going from the air filter , which it starts then straight away. Once started, will start no problem all day. Next dayits back to not starting if its cold. I have an 03 grand cherokee with the 2.7crd engine. I replaced all of the glow plugs and that didn't help. One of the injectors was leaking, so the garage replaced the seal saying that would be the problem. Unfortunately this was last spring and the cold weather had stopped so I could tell. with winter here, I'm back to the same problem. A chap in this post said about checking the voltage going to the glow plugs, I wonder now if it is a fault on whatever supplies the voltage/current to the glow plugs (sorry not technical and really don't understand how diesels work!)

Going to put it back into a garage , if I get there before you, I'll post what they find or not find lol

Happy to give you my phone number if you email me.

Regards

Mark
Old 28-11-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Diesels are really quite simple,they are compression ignition .What this means is heat generated from compressing air in cylinder is what ignites fuel when it is injected into the cylinder.If it doesnt start its because 1. insufficient heat (low compression, slow cranking speed,glow plugs innefective) 2.Fuel (not enough volume,not atomised finely enough) 3.timing (either injector timing or valve timing).
First start on a cold day there isnt enough heat to get the job done ,hence the need for glow plugs.If there is sufficient fuel but not enough heat you will get lots of white smoke from exhaust while tryuing to start.
If there is a fuel related problem ie air lock or diesel running /syphoning out of pump/injectors then there will be no smoke (or very little if its on 1 or 2 cyl) from exhaust when trying to start.
Tell us what colour & how much smoke you are getting, its no 1 clue when diagnosing diesels.

Last edited by turbomart; 28-11-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 28-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Mark,

The dealer were my car is has tested the glow plugs and the supply to the as well as the rest of the electrical system. I knew the glow plugs were OK as I had changed them. I did also find a blown 50amp fuse that supplies power to the glow plugs. There are two 50amp fuses and two relays, each one supplies power to the glow plugs.

They then did a leak back test on the injectors and found that injector 5 was leaking fuel back into the tank so needed primed every time you tried to start the car.
Injector 4 had been changed by another garage last year but doesn't seem to have been sealed correctly as this was leaking and had a bad build up of carbon round it.

The fact your problem has reappeared doesn't fill me with hope that all this work will fix it.

You may also want to read this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/2...arting-930356/

And this one from Post number 6

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=38447

Last edited by ksmith38a; 28-11-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 28-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
Diesels are really quite simple,they are compression ignition .What this means is heat generated from compressing air in cylinder is what ignites fuel when it is injected into the cylinder.If it doesnt start its because 1. insufficient heat (low compression, slow cranking speed,glow plugs innefective) 2.Fuel (not enough volume,not atomised finely enough) 3.timing (either injector timing or valve timing).
First start on a cold day there isnt enough heat to get the job done ,hence the need for glow plugs.If there is sufficient fuel but not enough heat you will get lots of white smoke from exhaust while tryuing to start.
If there is a fuel related problem ie air lock or diesel running /syphoning out of pump/injectors then there will be no smoke (or very little if its on 1 or 2 cyl) from exhaust when trying to start.
Tell us what colour & how much smoke you are getting, its no 1 clue when diagnosing diesels.
I don't get any white smoke when trying to start it. Once it does start it does then run fine. It will then also start again throughout the day, although maybe taking 5 - 7 seconds of cranking to start.
Old 28-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksawtell View Post
Hello mate. I'm based in the uk also and have the same problem. there is enough charge in the battery and the engine turns over fast. The first sign of cold, the only way it will start is with squirting easy start in the pipe going from the air filter , which it starts then straight away. Once started, will start no problem all day. Next day its back to not starting if its cold.
Exactly the same as mine
Old 30-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith38a View Post
I don't get any white smoke when trying to start it. Once it does start it does then run fine. It will then also start again throughout the day, although maybe taking 5 - 7 seconds of cranking to start.
Absolutely the same, no White smoke either. Interestingly I only found 1x50 amp fuse for the glow plugs, not 2 as you stated :0/

I think my next step is to test the voltage of the supply to the glow plugs. Any help from anyone on exactly how to do that would be appreciated. I have a volt meter. Do I test by putting red lead into the socket of the glow plug lead and earth the black lead on the engine and test as the ignition is turned on? Sorry to sound thick, electrics is not my thing!
Post New Thread  Reply