JK Wrangler good family outback tourer? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

I can't see what the workshop "problem" is with Jeeps. Most parts are as accessible as for other makes and in the outback, even with other makes, you will still wait days/weeks for parts to be shipped, and at highly marked up prices. When they arrive, you will still have to join the queue at the mechanics to get the work done. I have seen all makes of vehicles in outback workshops, and no Jeeps. It might be that that is because not many travel outback. Why, I don't know.

When I did do a cape trip there were a couple of jeeps; A TJ did a yoke/diff and needed that replaced in Cairns... all fixed in 3 days. How is that problematic? I have seen all manner of broken parts on Toyotas and Nissans...CV joints, seals, diffs, wheels shattering, brake systems fallen to bits, exhaust damage; engine failure; suspension failure (big time) ECU failure... you name it... and these are supposed to be reliable machines, according to the forum pundits, that we should all buy if we want to travel outback.

I think that some pundits spend too much time postulating and never getting outback, preferring instead to dig mud holes in backyard blocks and then complaining when something breaks. How is that a life? Take the risk and visit this wide land of ours because it is magnificent and a Jeep is as good a vehicle as any to do it in.
Old 15-04-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you should try getting a jeep repaired in the northern territory. a problem is that jeep are a low volume seller and most mechanics have more experience with toyota, nissan and holden than jeep. i've had workshops in the country and city tell me they just don't work on jeeps, in w.a.
Old 15-04-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a JK Rubicon and used it as a tourer but as others have mentioned I always had in the back of my head - I hope I get there. Reliability for me is not Jeep's strong point - and that is even the latest ones. One guy on here picked his brand new JK up, drove it on the hwy for 300km's then it was back at the dealer's for a couple of weeks!

I primarily wanted a good tourer that could easily tow my camper trailer - another downfall of the JK is their poor payload and poor towball weight. We very seriously considered the Prado - and they are excellent tourers with the older models having a 180lt tank and the new ones a 150lt tank.

However for us the Pajero won - and won easily. They are cheaper, have longer warranty, more features for the money, and add a long range tank and the fuel difference when comparing to the new models is only 2 litres, plus it has more torque and mine was $56k drive away.
Off road they are very under rated but very capable.
On another note - my wife is 5'2" and hated driving the JK. She loves driving the Pajero - I can hardly prise the keys from her hand!

Last edited by JKohn; 15-04-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 15-04-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

RACV Totalcare works wonders. I agree about the payload (330kg approx; 170kg ball weight). My solution - fit HD lifted Lovell Springs +airbags to the rear, lifted Lovell springs (normal wt) to the front. I do always wonder and hope for trouble free journeys and so far this has been the case. If something does go bang, well, I will just have to deal with it. Cheers

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 15-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 15-04-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
depends on your taste in vehciles. but the dual cab utes another option. have excellent passnger comfort and many of them are seen towing small caravans and large campers. they can be on the road for about 40k, leaving room for a lift and a few other touring essentials (vhf radio, dual battery, rear canopy etc.) isuzu ute/holden colorado are one of the best as far as ground clearance and engine reliabilty and accessabilty to change hoses and belts. also have a stainless timing chain which never has to be changed (big bonus) and any workshop anywhere in the countyrt will work on them, unlike jeeps. just another perspective to consider.
Have you ever sat in the back of one of these things. I am yet to find one that is comfortable in the back seat, might work for kids though. That said, the JK is not alot better in the back but if you do the back seat mod and get a bit more angle in it, it's not to bad (especially if you've had a couple too many and the missus is driving home)
Old 15-04-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Whats wrong with a grand ?

jk Unlimited
Old 15-04-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Over budget i would guess.
I personally have seen various model grands with all sorts of problems in the outback- from numerous bells chimes and alarms going off on the dash due to the car not liking dust and/or corrugations, to the vehicles going into intermittent limp mode, to auto trans simply not working (ie stuck in neutral).

I really wouldnt take the gamble. Where do you think you are going to get a dealer with diagnostic computer in Birdsville?

Simply, if you are going to tour the outback and the cape as suggested by the OP, you take a gamble using a late model Jeep IMHO. Getting roadside insurance isnt the answer, (whilst its a good idea for lots of reasons) it shouldnt be compulsory depending on your choice of vehicles.

Hell, I'd do it without blinking in a FSJ in reasonable condition over a new Grand every time. At least its 100% fixable with a hammer and shifter LOL.

Toyota Nissans Mistubishis' etc are factory tested and proven in the outback over successive models over many years. If they break down, chances are they local mech is going to have had plenty of experience with them. Sure, parts can be freighted anywhere, mechanical knowledge and experience cant.

Never yet seen a new pre release Jeep tested by the factory in the Oz outback. They simply arent built for our conditions.
Post New Thread  Reply