More front travel.... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-04-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maxflex coils and PPM shocks, 720mm in the rear and 800mm in the front. fitting front shock lower relocation brackets this wkend should gain another 50mm.
900mm is the target. (44 gallon drum)

Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	47166

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	47167

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	47168

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	47169
Old 19-04-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflex4x4 View Post
Maxflex coils and PPM shocks, 720mm in the rear and 800mm in the front. fitting front shock lower relocation brackets this wkend should gain another 50mm.
900mm is the target. (44 gallon drum)

Attachment 47166

Attachment 47167

Attachment 47168

Attachment 47169
I like your setup!

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 20-04-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

The Terraflex shocks are longer than the PP ones which is the key - not relocation brackets. If on bump you have the shock fully retracted ( which I do ) and droop its fully extended ( which it wasn't due to the ramp as mentioned previously ) then you have all 30+ inches of the shock working - a 28" shock - ( relocated or not ) can at best "only" give 28" of total movement.

Would have liked to try the Maxflex coils..... I did PM specs of what I was after but nothing doing so.........

P.S. the Poly Performance shocks are really good IMO, I had them on already but was looking to order a set of Bilsteins from DBOR..... ( there's just tooo much Jeep aftermarket stuff available ), Bill is now selling Terraflex and when he mentioned he had a 30" shock in stock, at a REALLY good price and from a reputable manufacturer i just couldn't resist trying them.

n the quality stakes i'm sure Bilstein, Fox etc are better and for competition the unquestioned solution, but these Terraflex shocks just cried out to be tried.

Bang for buck - hard to beat.
Old 20-04-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

And does not break the bank or cause heartache when a stick or a rock flicks up and destroys the shock!!

Is the issue with expensive shocks especially in the rear of the JK. One wrong or unlucky move and you can be up for a complete new shock....not a fun thing to do when its going to cost you over $200 a corner.

The Maxflex coils look like they would suit your application MM - very very long but need big bumpstops, just like your current setup. AFAIK Suspension stuff can still source the same/similar Dobinsons "Flexy" Coils if maxflex is unable to supply for whatever reason. Also believe the dobinson sourced coils from Suspensionstuff come powder coated black? Suits your style....lol...yellow or blue coils look gay

Last edited by Yom; 20-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 20-04-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Yes - i'll probably get drummed out of the JK fratenity for even suggesting that cheap could be a real option.

I'm not suggesting that they are FOX, ELKA or Bilstein substitutes, but then again most people don't need such mega shocks let alone afford them.

I've run Pedders ( in desperation on another vehicle - failed first trip ) OME... which really didn't suit my driving, Poly Performance whiich I had no issues with - except they were too short ( ok... short is relative ) and really wanted something a bit longer for my application.

An i know what you mean re damage - I've killed a shock by so badly dinting it ed that it failed and another with pretty impressive scrape marks, all rears.....

The standard Maxflex coils were available, no issue there - i just needed som springs with pretty specific compressed and open lengths to avoid the little SOB's falling out again
Old 20-04-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im fitting relocation brackets due to shocks rubbing on chassis just before full droop. Do you not have that issue? Whats the compressed length of the Teraflex shocks? Longer shocks usually mean less upward travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
The Terraflex shocks are longer than the PP ones which is the key - not relocation brackets. If on bump you have the shock fully retracted ( which I do ) and droop its fully extended ( which it wasn't due to the ramp as mentioned previously ) then you have all 30+ inches of the shock working - a 28" shock - ( relocated or not ) can at best "only" give 28" of total movement.

Would have liked to try the Maxflex coils..... I did PM specs of what I was after but nothing doing so.........

P.S. the Poly Performance shocks are really good IMO, I had them on already but was looking to order a set of Bilsteins from DBOR..... ( there's just tooo much Jeep aftermarket stuff available ), Bill is now selling Terraflex and when he mentioned he had a 30" shock in stock, at a REALLY good price and from a reputable manufacturer i just couldn't resist trying them.

n the quality stakes i'm sure Bilstein, Fox etc are better and for competition the unquestioned solution, but these Terraflex shocks just cried out to be tried.

Bang for buck - hard to beat.
Old 21-04-2011
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
BlueFin the length of the longest front shock ( described as suitable for a 6" lift ) is 30.5" from the centre of the bottom eye to the pint where the upper rubber contacts the shock tower. I'm not going to pull the shock to measure its compressed length as frankly with the internal gas pressure its hard work getting it back onto the lower mount !
Teraflex factory specs on these shocks Length 30.92", Compressed 18.55" Travel 12.37"

OEM LT Length 27.5", Compressed 16" Travel 11.5"

For me to the Teraflex shocks wouldn't work with my 3" bump stops they would bottom out, I will be raising the lower shock mount & moving it out towards the tyre to eliminate the shock rubbing on the chassis & with this set up it will give me more usable travel than with the longer Teraflex shocks

Main thing I have to worry about is the drive shaft hitting on the transmission & trying to cut it in half, so will have to check fully flexed up with out the springs in & adjust the panhard road to move the drive shaft away from the transmission, don't know if you have this problem on the manuals

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Post New Thread  Reply