Hammonds....Thanks for your help...................NOT!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Positive Testimonials & feedback
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Old 11-10-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it's not what they are saying, but it would be against the Privacy Laws for them to tell you anyways.
The owner of the invoice (original purchaser) is the only person able to ask, and recieve that info (if they knew it).
If an engine was a custom build, I can understand why they may not have kept all the details.
I asked my plumber where the pipes in my house wall are, and he couldn't remember. I didn't bust his chops over it, and put up a post on the Plumbers forum about him.
Old 12-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
Or when you buy a car are you not allowed to get info on it from the mechanic who used to work on it cos you aren't the original purchaser.
That is correct. If you buy a car without books, it is against the Privacy Laws for the dealer or workshop to provide you details of service history by the previous owners.
Old 12-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not saying it isn't funny, just saying it's illegal. People that don't service their car, or take short cuts, are covered by the privacy laws.
Old 12-10-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Read it again before adding your 2 cents worth.....
the original owner HAS contacted hammonds and they cant tell him the cam specs either.

Last edited by Richo; 12-10-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Does anyone else get sick of people quoting the Privacy Act whenver they are too lazy to follow up an information request.

Next time it happens ask them what page and paragraph are they actually referring to in the Privacy Act...I can guarantee that they havent read it and are just fobbing you off.
Releasing the service history of your vehicle is NOT agaisnt the privacy act, at no point in time is anyones personal details revealed just the vehicles service details...Im sure the vehicle wont complain about its Privacy??

Matt.
Old 12-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richo, you will notice I said that it wasn't the case at the start... If you re read it.

Our legal dept advised us that any info relating to a customers car, belongs to that customer.
Old 12-10-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHU View Post
I know it's not what they are saying, but it would be against the Privacy Laws for them to tell you anyways.
The owner of the invoice (original purchaser) is the only person able to ask, and recieve that info (if they knew it).
If an engine was a custom build, I can understand why they may not have kept all the details.
I asked my plumber where the pipes in my house wall are, and he couldn't remember. I didn't bust his chops over it, and put up a post on the Plumbers forum about him.
You are confused. There is NOTHING in any privacy act that prohibits releasing the information. What does is the engine builders intelectual property. Every builder has his own "secrets" on how they do things, cam profiles they have used and the R&D spent over years. Some builders will get you to sign a non-disclosure agreement stating you want share the info BUT as the paying customer you are entitled to know what you paid for. Its the same as tuners locking the PCM to stop others reading it and seeing how they have done things. That has been tested in court and the tuner was forced to unlock the PCM for the new owner.

Quote:
That is correct. If you buy a car without books, it is against the Privacy Laws for the dealer or workshop to provide you details of service history by the previous owners.
I work with over 40 dealers. A cars history is available from ANY of them but not the names of past owners.

Quote:
Not saying it isn't funny, just saying it's illegal. People that don't service their car, or take short cuts, are covered by the privacy laws.
Privacy laws relate to people not objects. I have read the act. There is nothing in there that states releasing a cars info is illegal.