modding a TJ for longer trips - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler TJ in SA View Post
By re gearing diffs to suit your tyre size it makes a hell of a difference, I have 31s and 4.11 ratios and I get about 450 + kms out of a tank on highway. and around 400kms when I did vic high country and cape york.

I have a roof rack and have purchased a dual jerry can carrier for the roof rack to carry the extra fuel if and when needed but thats not often.

I looked into the longrange fuel tanks and to be honest for that amount of $$$ and extra weight it costs more long run then a simpler solution of a Jerry can holder that you really only need once in a blue moon.

Imagine carrying around that amount of weight all day every day on a daily driver!!!! long term more expensive in my opinion.

have to agree with the ratios may not increase economy but defiantly dirveability.

but as for the long range tank i just havent got the money to get 1 but will when i can as im only getting 250k round trip and when your just going round town u dont need to fill it to the brim the tank itself wouldnt be a great deal heaver
Old 28-12-2011
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

x2 for diff ratios. I have fitted 4.11's for my 31" tyres and it made a huge difference. Not so much for fuel use (i get 450klm/tank) but more so that it's much more comfortable to drive and does't feel like it's struggling up hills and on the highway.

I didn't mod the jeep much more as i have setup a camper trailer which carries 3x jerries, water, camping & cooking gear etc. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=110928

If you're not going to be doing anything serious then i would recommend the camper/trailer route. It makes it so much easier to live out of a short wheelbase Jeep.

cheers
Old 28-12-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Blackjack welding also do a pretty cool roof rack, you should check it out
Old 29-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry for the late reply been busy in the shed building some storage in the boot of my TJ i will post pics up later today hopefully.

changing diff ratio's would make the car perform alot better offroad and on highway use, but would it decrease the fuel economy?

i think i am going to be purchasing some gear from blackjack in the coming weeks.hopefully get rad gaurd steer, bx gaurd, rock sliders, and the rear bar with jerry holder highlift and gas strut assist. Then i can buy a spare tyre!

i am going off camping late tomorrow so i will some pics so you can see how it is coming along.

cheers
Old 29-12-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysTJ View Post
sorry for the late reply been busy in the shed building some storage in the boot of my TJ i will post pics up later today hopefully.

changing diff ratio's would make the car perform alot better offroad and on highway use, but would it decrease the fuel economy?

i think i am going to be purchasing some gear from blackjack in the coming weeks.hopefully get rad gaurd steer, bx gaurd, rock sliders, and the rear bar with jerry holder highlift and gas strut assist. Then i can buy a spare tyre!

i am going off camping late tomorrow so i will some pics so you can see how it is coming along.

cheers
Give us a shout mate, I can still offer Christmas specials til jan 1

www.BlackJackWelding.com.au
Old 29-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoro View Post
Give us a shout mate, I can still offer Christmas specials til jan 1
gday

that sounds great!
i'll send you an email via your site now if you could give me qoute would be awesome!

cheers rhys
Old 29-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysTJ View Post

cheers
Just make sure u can open the swing away carrier with the fuel cans in.... I got the max series bar and fuel carriers and if I use them I can't open anything. Biggest waste of money I have spent on my jeep so far. The bar is awsome though.
Post New Thread  Reply