1999 XJ limited - noob alert - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Yeah be patient and the right deal will come along.
Old 11-07-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Being patient, as it's our main family car so I dont want to lose sleep for making the wrong decision. Thanks for all the advice so far!!

Have a 95 model coming up as a contendor... 285k 6 months reg and rwc. $4500

Only thing I'm unsure on is it's dual fuel, I'm a pretty firm beleiver a car should be dedicated gas OR petrol, what are peoples thoughts/experiences?
Old 20-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Onto another one now. looking at a 95 limited with a build of 10/95 wont be long and I'll be through every limited in melbourne for sale.

From what I can tell by digging around the biggest difference is mostly cosmetic things early/late model, what year did they make the big change? I cant find a firm date/month for some reason.

I've also spotted that some models from this didnt come with an LSD. any builds specifically or is it hit and miss? Short of jacking the back of the car up and turning the wheels, anyone got an easy trick for spotting if it is or not. (diff/serial#/etc?)

And another noob question I couldnt find. being the sport's are 1" taller than the ltd's, does a typical 50mm lift raise the sport 1" or the ltd's 3"
Old 22-07-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ

Easy way to spot a LSD is to look for metal tag (says use LSD oil or Additive) under a diff cover screw adjacent to oil plug......unless some dope was too lazy to put it back.......there's another tag held down with 2 screws on opposite side that has the diff serial no., build date etc)

I reckon you can get good XJ's for between $3000 - $4500 - steer clear of shonky dealers..... Any for sale on here?

Rear main seal is a cheap fix if you only cost the part....it's easy but takes hours!.... first time I did it took me and mate 10 hours haha!
Old 23-07-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

lift height is based on limited
Old 23-07-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Onto another one now. looking at a 95 limited with a build of 10/95 wont be long and I'll be through every limited in melbourne for sale.

From what I can tell by digging around the biggest difference is mostly cosmetic things early/late model, what year did they make the big change? I cant find a firm date/month for some reason.

I've also spotted that some models from this didnt come with an LSD. any builds specifically or is it hit and miss? Short of jacking the back of the car up and turning the wheels, anyone got an easy trick for spotting if it is or not. (diff/serial#/etc?)

And another noob question I couldnt find. being the sport's are 1" taller than the ltd's, does a typical 50mm lift raise the sport 1" or the ltd's 3"
The update occured around sept 97 IIRC.

As for the non-LSD issue, the only ones in the pre-updates that I have seen without LSD were the Limited Classic.

As mentioned the Sports & Classics were 1" higher, the Limiteds and Limted Classics were standard height and most lifts are based on the std height but some do have different specs and will offer a lift on Sport height, just be aware that the bump stops on a std height Xj are shorter in the rear and don't have the reiforcing plate like a Sport has...

JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 23-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks heaps for all the responses. Much appreciated! We've decided we are going post-update just for the interior niceties. They all seem to be going for around $5k-ish compared to the pre-update of $3-4k? It's going to be a tourer/family rig so comfort is key

Bump stops re-enforcing and the like is no biggie for the same reason. I'll be suprised if it ever wears boots larger than 31's.

Off to inspect a 10/98 Thursday, just about the last one we havent looked at left in melbourne. Fingers crossed.
Post New Thread  Reply