New tyres chipping on the edges...? why? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgd xr View Post
Powerman 15 I drop mine down to 16 pounds for the power lines. Won't hurt the lower pressure will be a smoother ride. Tyres with conform to the terrain better and you shouldn't get as much wear.
wow, fair enough... dont think i'd go that low... but definitely given me some more confidence in airing down ALOT more!
Old 07-11-2012
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerman15 View Post
Yeah i've heard coopers are always best to run lower pressure than any other tyres for this reason...

i think thats the key, just lower pressures... lower than what im use to

20-24 offroad rocky tracks

12-18 sand

30-32 onroad

thats what i think i'll follow from now on
I've also heard/read and seen that coopers are famous for Chipping and throwing lugs!! There are also rip off coopers that are being sold here as well and some dealers have told customers not to tell other dealers where they got them and the price they paid!! (happened to me) A mate of mine had one explode on his disco causing 20000 in damages that coopers HAD to pay in the end od a length legal debate his was only 500kms old!! I well never buy copper rather I'm a big fan of the bf good ridge..... Oh and I run at 14-16 here on the beaches in Nsw.... And around 20 on dirt and some sloppy bits
Old 07-11-2012
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Yep Coopers seem to chip on the edges especially with heavy vehicles ..... a mate had his refunded after they did it big time.... as long as he shut up.

I gave away my half worn Cooper STT's ( fitted to a lightweight 4WD ) and still felt guilty.... not my tyre of choice. No breakup but useless on the tracks.
Old 07-11-2012
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am local... Run 285 cooper st Maxx... About 20,000 and starting to chip (starting!!) happy to have a chat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

damn sounds like its well known for the coopers then..

guess guys with Coopers like me, will just have to look after them and air down where-ever possible!
Old 08-11-2012
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine are not chipping that badly mate... but showing signs of wear... still work like the day I bought them... so not woorried... but yes always air down with all tyres less friction on the trye and less chance of tyre damage... BUT airing down helps save the tracks
Old 08-11-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Running STmaxx 285/70r17. Still establishing optimum pressures but at this stage : highway 28 psi, dirt & rocks med speed 20 psi, sand 12-15 psi.

Remember these tyres have the strongest casing available & so require less pressure to hold the weight & maintain correct shape. I have proven on National Parks vehicles that traditional pressures cause excess wear & chipping whereas with proper inflation & care they will outlast most other tyres.

ST maxx is a much improve tread compound to earlier Coopers & is generally pretty chip resistant if treated right.

Talk to your dealer or even the state distributors. They will be only too happy to advise.