Fuel consumption? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts

i was getting around 7.5 - 8km/l so 12 - 14l/100 stock height with stock wheels.

13-15l/100 with 3" lift and stock wheels and now with the 31" nexen muddies i'm getting something along the lines of 15-17l/100 and all these figures are around 70/30 town/highway.

I did put Dodge Neon injectors in when i changed my tyres and i must say it's made the car run a lot smoother and i'm running a tank now thats 50/50 91/95 octane and it's running sweet. might try just normal 91 in the next fill and see how it runs.

Why is there so much inconsistency between cherokees with economy? what do you guys do in terms of a "tune up" that will significantly improve consumption? I read an interesting web article about a couple of guys in the US that did an active comparison on fuel consumption before and after certain mods.
here's the link: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...eage_upgrades/

I'm wondering though, what coil to use in order to improve the spark the xj is getting?
Old 18-03-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably the Accel coil over MSD that I just bought - available at Summit for around $40 plus shipping.
Old 19-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts

Thanks Chero, at $40 it sounds like a worth while investment, some of the coils I saw on morris4x4 were around the 140 mark.

Do 8mm leads and a new dizzy cap + rotor really make a significant difference?
Old 19-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
Thanks Chero, at $40 it sounds like a worth while investment, some of the coils I saw on morris4x4 were around the 140 mark.

Do 8mm leads and a new dizzy cap + rotor really make a significant difference?
If you have time you can pull them and test them. When I got my XJ TeamCherokee had a special on Mopar 'Tune-up' kits, plugs, leads, airfilter, fuel filter, dizzy cap and rotor. I put one of those through mine and it made a huge difference, not just to the economy but also the performance, made it much smoother through the rev range. I would suggest replacing those items if their age/quality is currently unknown.

There was a fellow on here that had some luck with increasing his plug gap after fitting a Accel coil which he claimed gave him a torque bump and a fuel economy bump but I havent tried it myself.
Old 19-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

best i have got recently is 9.8 hypermiling at 95 kph to maroochydore (measured) this is after a tankful mixed with tcw3 2 stroke (cheaper than injector cleaner). i get 15 round town (lots of short trips). this is about as good as you can get with a low comp ratio petrol motor with conservative tuning.

got around 1/3 litre per 100 better on hwy and motor runs quieter on the 2 stroke.
Old 19-03-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

i have a 2.5 tdi and i get somewhere between 7-800 kms, standard tyres and i always fill up at about 1/4 of a tank
Old 21-03-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What commodore injectors are the? Standard 24lb injectors from the Series II engines? I've got a set sitting in my garage and never thought about putting them in my XJ but if I can I'll see how they go.
Post New Thread  Reply