TJ: Wrangler (Cheap and Nasty) - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesm_ndt View Post
Cheers Dave. Seems to drive ok with the 4.56 but does occasionally bunny hop if I don't get a smooth take off. Will 4.56 affect anything else like fuel economy? I think I have 32's at the moment

Wondering what's the best option as by the time I muck around putting new crown wheel and pinions in the front Dana 30, I could leave it as is and have a go making a up a D44 for the front .

- I see the TJ Rubicon's in the US front axles are D44
- I see some build threads around but to date I haven't seen anything specifically for a TJ. Also many of the US builds leave the axle full width. Be nice to get a housing built then look around for all the other bits.
Hey 4.56's are OK with 32's but when they wear out replace with 33's......Remember the TJ came with 3.07:1 diff gears so sounds like the speedo drive gear wasn't changed to suit your tyre size or ratio's.....
Nothing wrong with the D30 in the front if it was changed to a High Pinion but take it easy with the loud peddle if its still has the good old Low Pinion that it came with from the factory.
The TJ Rubicon's had to use the D44 front diff because of the 4.0:1 "NP231OR" transfer case in low range produced to much torque for the stock little Low Pinion D30 to handle + The D44 front/ rear had 4.10:1 gears and lockers

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference
Old 03-04-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Cheers.... I need to lay underneath the Jeep and figure out what has already been previously modified. I supposed in the end it depends which parts come up at the right price at the right time. It's good as the missus wants one now so will be a lot of swapping back and forth

Mike
(Project Gimpy)
1983 Acmat TPK4-20-SM
1965 M63 Ural
1997 TJ Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-04-2015
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Did a bit of a runaround today as the missus is learning how to drive in Australia as opposed to Malaysia.

Typically these rocked up before the sun visors...... hopefully Tuesday the other ton of bits will rock up

Mike
(Project Gimpy)
1983 Acmat TPK4-20-SM
1965 M63 Ural
1997 TJ Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-04-2015
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Well the ARB bar and compressor rocked up today http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=138172

Took about half a day to get this far, working by myself. The lower torx bolts were a bugger to get out on the old bar. At this point, need to, finish wiring the winch, spotlights, finish tightening the two top front bolts, wire the indicators then clean the sticky tape off.

Was a great buy as everything there

Mike
(Project Gimpy)
1983 Acmat TPK4-20-SM
1965 M63 Ural
1997 TJ Jeep Wrangler
Old 09-04-2015
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

New visors are in. Winch is all wired up except the winch control box earth (as still buggering around with the spotlight wiring). Needed a few washers under the spotties to give enough clearance for the winch controller

Old radiator out, new in. Pretty easy if you got a quarter inch ratchet, 11mm socket and a 75mm extension.

Guard dog, sleeps under the fuel tank lately

Mike
(Project Gimpy)
1983 Acmat TPK4-20-SM
1965 M63 Ural
1997 TJ Jeep Wrangler
Old 09-04-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesm_ndt View Post
Guard dog, sleeps under the fuel tank lately
Haha and sure looks like knows the difference between a 13mm & 1/2"AF spanner.... how's he/she go at bleeding brakes?

Mate, looks like its coming together nice

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference
Old 10-04-2015
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJ View Post
Haha and sure looks like knows the difference between a 13mm & 1/2"AF spanner.... how's he/she go at bleeding brakes?

Mate, looks like its coming together nice
Apart from guard duty he's a nuisance. He loves sticking his head between my arm and whatever spanner or part I'm holding with the added problem that he is so strong it's hard to push him away. Also chases the torch light same as a cat

Going back to Malaysia in a fortnight for a few weeks to pack my gear up then come back but so far:

- the different ratios aint fixed but am in not so much of a rush as yet as want/need my tools from Malaysia and Aus in one place. Got some quotes I need to answer tomorrow
- ditto for rear discs with added problem the couriers have lost the bits
- rear light guards and sill protectors arrived
- got a free UHF radio so I like it.
- new visors fitted
- still waiting on a new front indicator lens

Going to see what weird stuff I have hoarded in Malaysia that may be useful.

Mike
(Project Gimpy)
1983 Acmat TPK4-20-SM
1965 M63 Ural
1997 TJ Jeep Wrangler
Post New Thread  Reply