Battery changing - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-09-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My battery was replaced at 5 years when strange things started to occur, eg. wipers coming on and not able to turn them off. Wondered what it was until someone in the forum suggested it might be the battery. Checked the battery and it was 12.4 volt with engine off. I replaced the battery and all was good, no further trouble. That is 18 months ago and the original battery is still holding 12.3 volts in the garage. I was told the GCs are very finicky if the battery is not 100%. My old battery is still "perfectly good" and I use it as a power source when I need 12v power.
Go figure!!
Old 24-09-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,965 Times in 2,338 Posts

Same with most cars nowadays and 12.4v with no load for an AGM is around about the 75% charge mark, try to give it some serious work though and it will no doubt fall off quickly, SoC charts are not an accurate guide though, the closer the reading to 13v the better the charge but the reading is only reliable after its been left disconnected for a few hours if you want to be serious and temp plays a part as well...........
In my parts listing I have made up its a 850 CCA, 160 RC and 92ah, DIN 85 LH AGM battery and about the $500 mark.......

I have the old battery from my Hi Lux in shed for 12v, has a solar panel on roof to keep it charged, same at about 12.4v, runs some 12v test stuff and work lights but doesn't like a long heavy loading........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 24-09-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I think the alternator is getting flogged more by the power steering than charging a battery though if you are using the battery when shut down a lot ie; fridges, sound systems etc then when you start up again the charging will be longer and harder than normal and add all the power systems when running makes for a lot of work for a battery and charging unit................more so on a wet, cold day or night time ........... every extra electronic gadget added comes at a cost.
I can only imagine the extra flogging the batteries/alternator get with the stop/start system in some .....
It's not the charging of the battery that puts the extra load on the battery.

A fresh battery easily supplies the extra amps that the steering etc asks for.

An old battery won't be able to help the alternator so much and the voltage will drop right down / alternator will be doing all the work.
Old 24-09-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Drover you are correct, thinking back to the deep cycle caravan batteries, they are only 100% when the voltage is about 14.4 volts. Caravaning seems so long ago at the moment, she seems very lonely and unloved under the cover in the yard. should be at Coral bay about now........aah well, next year hopefully if they will allow us Vics out of here.
At least we are in regional Vic, so not the lockdown like Melbourneites.
Post New Thread  Reply