Low oil pressure on start WK2 CRD - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Technical Information about these Jeeps is very hard to get, intellectual property bull shit, I would presume that there is a spring and ball that sets maximum oil pressure as most petrol engines, very rare to fail but could be sticky. One bar is not very much I would reckon 4.5-6 bar would be where it should be. Shame you can’t T piece the oil sender outlet and put a gauge on it
There would be no non return valve as the oil drains through the pump back to the sump hence waiting 15 minutes to check the oil level
I like olmates thoughts on the oil pressure sensor because interestingly T*y*ta is recommending to change the engine oil in the first 1,000 k’s from new as there has been contamination from incomplete flushing of the block after machining and when I pulled my sons JK 3.8 apart (hydraulic lock) there was a score on one of the main bearings white metal. So contamination can happen
Old 11-08-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 683 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
I like olmates thoughts on the oil pressure sensor because interestingly T*y*ta is recommending to change the engine oil in the first 1,000 k’s from new as there has been contamination from incomplete flushing of the block after machining
Don't basically all manufacturers recommend a run-in oil change after 1k for this reason? I'm 99% sure my WK2 had one.

Off topic, but new 300 series owners are going a bit nutty on the forums as many are using ~2L of oil by the time that run-in service is due. Apparently the run-in oil is VERY thin too. A heap have also already had the DPF injector play up - one bloke said his dealer had seen 4 in the last 3 days

Old 11-08-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,157 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLMATE View Post
Reading back on these posts, it seems that some have experienced shit getting into the sender orifice and creating low pressures symptoms. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=156289

I'd be tempted to remove, clean, oxy welder tip cleaners might be able to withdraw ( if possible ) what ever is in there or replace the sender first and foremost, Lifters are Hydraulic and have Roller Rockers.

https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/w...192602&slide=1

Keep us posted mate, interesting to hear of your outcome, stuff like this interests me
I don't think the sender is a problem, as I can hear the tappet noise that subdues as the oil pressure warning goes out. That said it hasn't done it today, started up quiet as a mouse.

Keep you posted...
Cheers
Old 11-08-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
Technical Information about these Jeeps is very hard to get, intellectual property bull shit, I would presume that there is a spring and ball that sets maximum oil pressure as most petrol engines, very rare to fail but could be sticky. One bar is not very much I would reckon 4.5-6 bar would be where it should be. Shame you can’t T piece the oil sender outlet and put a gauge on it
There would be no non return valve as the oil drains through the pump back to the sump hence waiting 15 minutes to check the oil level
I like olmates thoughts on the oil pressure sensor because interestingly T*y*ta is recommending to change the engine oil in the first 1,000 k’s from new as there has been contamination from incomplete flushing of the block after machining and when I pulled my sons JK 3.8 apart (hydraulic lock) there was a score on one of the main bearings white metal. So contamination can happen

...like a Swiss Bank Account, just can't get info. i did read a while ago that due to this "intellectual property" garbage that it was nigh on impossible to source bottom end bearings for these things!

I read too that many of the early VM failures was due to crud left in the block after casting...this affected mainly the 2014 RAMs apparently.

The pressure relief valve in these engines I also read somewhere is made of a heavy plastic material, and they too have been known to fail after continuous heat / cool cycles.

I felt a bit better about that when I had the oil cooler assembly replaced in mine, as often just the oil cooler is replaced when it fails being it is separate to where the filter mounts. The body that the filter assembly is attached to contains the oil pressure relief valve, as well as the oil temp sender and the oil pressure sender...all this I had replaced when the cooler died.
Old 12-08-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,968 Times in 2,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post

I read too that many of the early VM failures was due to crud left in the block after casting...this affected mainly the 2014 RAMs apparently.
But the thing is it wasn't early VM engines as the engine had been in use for 3 or 4 years here and in Europe, just that to the Yanks the VM was born in 2014, so like a few things I wondered what did they change, their L630 suppose to just have changes for pollution and fuel quality while our A630 hasn't.......... and by fuel quality they are meaning the ability to make soot not that its poor refining.

I would be checking that they did actually change the sender unit, check the connectors for corrosion and blowing everything clean with sensor juice, its great stuff for cleaning crud.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-08-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Yeah I know that both sensors were replaced as 7 Slot in this case stuffed me around royally...well the bloke they had working there at the time did anyway, as he isn't there any more.

The fellow I later found out had allegedly ordered the oil cooler "three" days after i had the Jeep dropped down there...stuff up number one.
Then when I had chased it up a couple of days later he reckoned there was a shipping advice number and he would check it. He came back to me and said it hadn't left yet. When I chased it up again a day or two later he said they couldn't find the shipping advise number. On chasing up again on my request he said a parcel was due that morning and it should be there...it wasn't. Then he said to me it appeared it hadn't been ordered at all!

In the meantime I had rung around and found a full cooler assembly over at the Redcliffe Dealer....cost $1609.26. I told the bloke at 7 Slot in ex aspiration that I'd just go and buy it and bring it down...so scooted over to Redcliffe close to an hour from me and bought the Cooler Assembly, then drove for another hour and a bit down to 7 Slot and handed it to them. (then 50 mins from 7 Slot to my place so took about 3 hours out of my day)

It actually came complete right down to a new "genuine" filter cartridge in the housing, along with new sender units already screwed in.
I asked them to keep the old one for me which they did, and it still had the old sender units screwed in when I got it.

So a job that should have been complete in max five days to include getting the part shipped and allowing for completion of jobs in front of mine, took over 8 days.

Anyway, I found out that very often just the oil cooler itself is replaced when they fail as it can be detached from the housing and replaced along with new "O" rings. (The Chrysler part number for the full assembly as I bought is 46343219 in case anybody ever needs one and it is actually called a "support".)

I have never had any drama with Anthony or Todd at 7 Slot...great blokes. Todd has a 2015 I think JGC with around 240k's on it and says he has hardly spent a cent on it. Anthony is a total whizz on Jeeps, he amazes me how quickly he works. Jobs that should take hours he knocks over in half the time.

Just on the VM...I was chatting to Todd for a while on my last visit to 7 Slot, and bought up the subject of Gale Banks in the US and the fact they use the VM Motori engine as the basis for powering heaps of US Military vehicles, and that Banks has been using them since they were first produced in around 2011. They extract huge horsepower and torque out of them...and they have to be totally reliable too.

Todd said he had actually toured Gale Banks engineering when he was in the US. He said that Banks really only use the basic block and heads, they manufacturer a unique stronger cradle to support the crank...not sure what pistons rods bearings they use but obviously would not be stock standard production type. Likely has a special grinds of the cams as well.
Thing is the basic build of these VM's is pretty robust and they can handle a lot of HP and torque without twist.

It is just a shame the technical info appears to be so heavily guarded...even when there were so many early, and still are some early bearing failures, Chrysler has refused to acknowledge there could be a problem...and cover at least some of the failures under warranty. All they did do was recommend a change in the oil viscosity to allegedly combat the problem. But as we know that was aimed at the US models as it was for post 2014 onward models only....but same engine from 2011 though the 2011 - 2013 had a slightly lower HP and torque output.

I was told there are new crate motors available now for around $15k out of Melbourne if needed...yay...

Last edited by Jeeper6; 12-08-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

Jeeper6.The change in the VMs oil vicosity was by an urgent FCA TSB in around 2014 due more than a few VM motors with main bearing failures !In fact FCA stated that all Grand Cherokees etc on their lots sold or unsold etc had to have an immediate oil change to 5w40 synthetic meeting the spec requirements.Another update occured in 2016.A 5w40 sticker should also have been put on the filler cap.There are a number of oil companies still stating 5w30 for these motors is the correct oil .Only a few weeks ago I advised a parts retailer that the Nulon 5w30 was wrong ! He said he wouldnt change his listing.! I have also seen on one occasion last year where a mate of mine had 5w30 synthetic used in his vehicle by a Jeep dealer.! I hate to say it but low oil pressure without big ends knocking is probably worn main brgs ,of course only my opinion.! The history of the vehicles servicing from new may tell a story ! I might add FCA did acknowlege the engine failure problem in a roundabout way by ordering an immediate oil viscosity change !
Post New Thread  Reply