Which Tyre Wheel Combo? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

I travel with my laptop and a manilla folder full of Jeep notes and where I can get a apart, funny thing no dealer listed at all.............. be nice to go back to when the main sensor for things was your bum planted in the seat and your ears, now the bum has too much padding and I'm bluddy deaf...................... Some horror stories around about Jeeps, always has been, this is Number 3, still swear at it sometimes but it the sensors that scare me and they are the same in all brands, a Bosch conspiracy...

The variety of rubber for 18's, more sidewall and cost is what makes them a good size to have....................... Bog standard size on mine, haven't seen any need to go wider, loading on the front is enough anyway.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 08-02-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,153 Times in 610 Posts

I only mentioned the odd air suspension failures as I am a newbie to air suspension. My previous WK2 had an OME lift with springs.
Comforting to read of those that are happy with their set up...I guess I am very much of the old school with sprung car suspension.

I 100% agree with the reliability of the Jeeps, I am on my 7th Jeep now and none have ever failed to get me home...except the poor ole thing that died at Nolans. That said it was still driving, had a list of codes as long as your arm but that didn't stop it. It was only the zero oil pressure that pulled it up...but it was still running.

Unfortunately no body took a photo of my Jeep when it was up to the gunwales in water as Timsarg did...would have been great for the collection...and yes I too had water in the compartments under the front seats that I had to bail out...

There is a method of putting air back in to the bags if the system ruptures somewhere and loses all the nitrogen putting it on to the bump stops, I'll have to get familiar with that...
Old 08-02-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 846 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
I only mentioned the odd air suspension failures as I am a newbie to air suspension. My previous WK2 had an OME lift with springs.
Comforting to read of those that are happy with their set up...I guess I am very much of the old school with sprung car suspension.

I 100% agree with the reliability of the Jeeps, I am on my 7th Jeep now and none have ever failed to get me home...except the poor ole thing that died at Nolans. That said it was still driving, had a list of codes as long as your arm but that didn't stop it. It was only the zero oil pressure that pulled it up...but it was still running.

Unfortunately no body took a photo of my Jeep when it was up to the gunwales in water as Timsarg did...would have been great for the collection...and yes I too had water in the compartments under the front seats that I had to bail out...

There is a method of putting air back in to the bags if the system ruptures somewhere and loses all the nitrogen putting it on to the bump stops, I'll have to get familiar with that...
If a bag ruptures usually they sink down so can not be driven!Rears you may get away with a large spacer,fronts zilch!
Old 08-02-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 681 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
If a bag ruptures usually they sink down so can not be driven!Rears you may get away with a large spacer,fronts zilch!
In my 10yrs now of following WK2 forums, I've only seen maybe one or two bag ruptures - and both in the US doing some gnarly stuff from what I recall. No doubt there have been more, but as far as points of failure go, they're a looong way down the list.

Old 08-02-2023
Lowranger Shocker

I had mine throw the code: C1562 "Ride height air pump control over temperature" when I cleared the codes after getting back from Bathurst.

That code was in the system when i bought the car, but it cleared and had not appeared again until this trip.
It likely relates to me altering the ride height a few times while driving around on the Mountain. I do regular code clears so will monitor anyway.

I did have a look at what is available to change in the ECU via the JScan...it looks like the "Aero" mode could be disabled. I wasn't able to do it at the time as the system also read that the compressor was still cooling down...I'll try again later today. That would assist in stopping the tyres hitting the guards at 100kmh on Qld's crappy roads at least as the Jeep lowers around 15mm I believe.
Old 08-02-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Goondiwindi to Warwick same very bumpy road...I really feel for the truck drivers driving over that crap every day doing the Harvest...would drive you nuts!
Old 08-02-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post

I did have a look at what is available to change in the ECU via the JScan...it looks like the "Aero" mode could be disabled. I
if you can disable aero mode that would be awesome when going offroad . I could live with running normal height. Aero mode great for the black stuff but shite for the red stuff
Post New Thread  Reply