how tall can you get a CJ - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-02-2007
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madizell
Not much good at attachments, but here goes:
your running your own Alaskan outback challenge now arnt you......im sure i red up about this an a 4 wheeler or JP mag.

how that going for you?
Old 26-02-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

What brand are those flares madizell? anybody? Like the retro styling a bit more than 'wackers.
Old 27-02-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee
What brand are those flares madizell? anybody? Like the retro styling a bit more than 'wackers.
The flares shown in the photo are Xenon brand, and follow the original style exactly except for the width. Originals are about 2 or so inches, the Xenons are 5 inches. Pretty sure I still have these sitting in the shop, as I pulled them two years ago for wider flares after installing 3 inch wider axles. I'd send them to you but the postage is probably more than the flares are worth.
Old 27-02-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu
your running your own Alaskan outback challenge now arnt you......im sure i red up about this an a 4 wheeler or JP mag.

how that going for you?
There are no competitions here of an official sort due to government interference on public lands and a lack of private land on which to hold events. One of the local clubs held an "event" this past summer on one of our moderate trails, but it was strictly a locals only, club-oriented event. Bit of a rock crawl, nothing serious and only lasted an afternoon. As large as this state is, most of it is not accessible and there is certainly not enough space to host something of the scale of the Outback Challenge.

Even in the lower 48 (the rest of the U.S.) there is scarcely land enough available for an event with the scope and diversity of the OBC. Paul and Sharon Vanderhorst might brag a bit about their event being world class, but in truth, it is just that. There are few others that draw from the "regular crowd" as opposed to the big dollar professionals, that offer the kind of organized event that the Outback Challenge represents. I consider having had the chance to race twice in the OBC to be a lifetime thrill, and I would do it again, and will, if fortune permits.

Those of you who are close enough to participate more or less at will are the lucky ones, and there is not a rig in that event that could not go anywhere on the planet and take on the terrain.
Old 27-02-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMEMUD
Nice lookin rig there mate. Good thing your in Alaska, would have trouble enough getting air into the radiator for down under driving.
Like ACJ says, it is no different with a CJ ot a TJ running a high mount. Actually, the temperature runs around 195 to 205 (f) under most conditions. Back in 2003 for the last OBC I was in, I still had the stock iron heads on the 5.0, and it ran about 205 as a rule. Highest temps we saw during the event was 240 for about 30 seconds during the Steven's Creek event, which is a deep sand river bed sprint, and that was with no more fan than a 16 inch electric.

I now use aluminum Edelbrock Performer heads and intake, and the temps are stable even under a load. Haven't seen higher than 214 since I swapped out the heads. The 5.0 uses a 195 thermostat, and I have an aluminum Be-Cool radiator and high flow pump, which helps. I put the stock fan back in but am thinking of putting the electric back in because the stock fan howls like a jet and sucks power. If the temp does not get over 205, the fan would hardly run anyway.

Frankly, I see little difference between running with or without the winch in front. The only concession I made when I installed the V-8 was to take out the grill screen that I had been running for years. The air seems to finds its way into the grill.
Post New Thread  Reply