Auto vs Manual - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismark
Diesel menual is the way to go if you are going off Road, 1) You are in control not the auto 2) try to pull any Auto back to the blacktop and you most likly demaged the auto (autos don't like to be pulled) 3) Fuel consumtion. I have got the JK CRD renegade Manual over 1 week now fuel consumtion wen't down from 13.1 to 11.5 L/Km drive the Jeep mainly with the front roof open even with 110Km you still can play the radio.
Sorry bismark, I have to disagree.

1. You do have nearly total control in the auto. Just select the gear you want - if you put it in 1st it will stay there. In 2nd it can still change down to 1st. How much more control do you need?

2. All Jeeps post-'94 ( and older ones too, I guess ) have a Neutral position on the transfer case. Pull away !

3. Official fuel consumption figures claim that the JK autos are more efficient than the manuals, doesn't matter if it's diesel or petrol.

Personally, I like the manual petrol, but only in the Rubicon. The gearing is way too tall in the Sport 3.7.

The diesel/auto is a top combo, smooth, economical, quick to kick-down. I reckon it would be faster and smoother everywhere compared to the manual.
Old 01-05-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well that's all very interesting and I guess I will have to use my instinct to decide. I think i'll go the manual rubicon since it saves a couple of bucks, seems to make no major difference other than convenience and i can spend the leftovers on extras. Hardtop and towpack are a must for mine.
Old 01-05-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by as0l0
I think i'll go the manual rubicon since it saves a couple of bucks, seems to make no major difference other than convenience and i can spend the leftovers on extras. Hardtop and towpack are a must for mine.
Good way of looking at it - save $2000 on the auto, spend it on something that you know you want.
Old 01-05-2007
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Unlimited + Rubicon + Hemi + Auto = my order gets placed
My second (distant) pick would be the Diesel/Auto combo....
Old 01-05-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you look at the fuel economy on the highway the auto and manual are the same since the invention of locking torque converters, you will find the auto top gear with the torque converter locked is the same as 5th of 6th(whichever is your top gear)in a manual. The only difference you will notice is around town and it won't be by very much a litre or 2.

My 98 xj averages 13L/100km on the highway with 31's, used to get 12L/100km with the standard 28's, but the thing is as soon as you change tyre size the econometer is out by the same amount as your speedo, do a long trip and measure the distance with a gps and compare it with your odometer and do the math and it really probably only a touch above 12L.
Old 01-05-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tasar, wouldn't a tiptronic (manual boxes with auto override) be classified as an automatic, I would have thought it would, the key words there being 'auto overide'. I would have thought anything without a clutch would be Automatic.
If you purchase an XR6 it comes with a manual standard or a 6 speed auto, on all the dealer websites etc its refered to as an auto, ie- it has no clutch and you dont need to shift between drive gears if you dont want to.

I'm not saying they havn't developed manuals but if you look at cars from say 20 years ago there seemed to be a big difference in performance between autos and manuals, now it seems most auto cars get similar fuel economy and performance as their manual conterparts, and I guess it would make sence given that now the auto boxes often 'talk' to eachother via computers and whatnot.

And I personally dont consider using an auto box 'lazy' just as I don't classify using a calculator instead of pencil and paper lazy, or using the TV remote. I just think, why do extra stuff, to me manual gearboxes are like crank starting a car instead of key starting.

And yes I can drive a manual fine but I just don't see the point in doing so when there are machines that can do it for me.

Now if they'd just let us have monkey servants to fetch us beer I'd be happy.
Old 01-05-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the thing that really throws me off the auto in the rubicon is that it's a 4 speed auto (it is right?). that gives me the impression that is an old style auto sludge box, rather than the fancy 6 speed boxes found in most modern autos.

it gives me the impression that jeep didn't spend much time on the auto. just dropped in a solid dependable unit.
Post New Thread  Reply