Did all XJs originally come with keyless entry - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-07-2007
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i hav my stock remote but the buttons have broken off
Old 30-07-2007
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsjeep View Post
My key or the manual switch does not operate the central locking
same here
i'm preparing to get a remote, but i'm baffled by the fact that the key doesn't operate the central locking...
Old 30-07-2007
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Earlier XJs have the IR remotes and can be user programmed, later XJs with the RF remotes need to be factory programmed.
Keyless ride IR remote worked on my 95XJ when I followed the instructions.
CAnt remember on the 95 but on my 98, Central locking will work on all doors from the drivers door SWITCH, but only unloks the particular door when you use the key.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 30-07-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post
Earlier XJs have the IR remotes and can be user programmed, later XJs with the RF remotes need to be factory programmed.
Keyless ride IR remote worked on my 95XJ when I followed the instructions.
CAnt remember on the 95 but on my 98, Central locking will work on all doors from the drivers door SWITCH, but only unloks the particular door when you use the key.
Thats correct Gildo, my '96 only unlocks the drivers or passenger door with the key, but the switch on the door on the power window control panel locks and unlocks all doors including the tailgate, except my 2 rear doors dont unlock fully with the master control button and must need cleaning, they make a feeble attempt, but dont unlock all the way.

cheers
Old 31-07-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

go to the stealership and get one from them at least you will get the correct one I got one for my 98 only to find that they couldnt programme it as mine was a 97 Built 98 and is a one of also with mine if I loose the remote i can't start it as its part of the immobiliser even if I switch it off and don't remove the key from the ignition I have to unlock it to start and thats normal with that model

Dont take life seriously Nobody gets out alive
Old 31-07-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it sounds like the functions on my jeep are working correctly except the ability to program the new remote. I have followed the instructions on the sheet, as well as the instructions in the owners manual (which are the same). Hmmmmm.
Old 09-06-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To finalise this thread I originally started, I had some more time to look into this over the long weekend. What I found was that the wiring to the sensor, located in the roof console, had been unplugged by someone and was curled up between the roof and headliner. I simply plugged it back in and my keylessride remote was programmed as suggested in both the owners manual and the instructions that came with it.

My guess is that the XJ was originally fitted with a remote alarm system of some form, and hence the factory system was disabled. When the alarm was removed from the vehicle (often happens when it goes to a dealer to be sold as a used vehicle because they don't want warranty issues on the non-factory alarm) the original system was never re-activated because the factory remotes would have been long gone.

If anyone is having a similar problem, might pay to check the wiring in the roof console!
Post New Thread  Reply