Advice for shocks... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like a bad time to enter the conversation, however, if I have installed a new & inexpensive lift with intention to upgrade should I do the shocks or springs first. Priority being better travel on our bumpy country road (more for the wife). Is it shocks or springs I need to consider first or do they need to be matched at the same time to get any difference. I currently have Ironman and they have have served well for my budget at the time but I now need to stop the stiff bouncing truck feeling. I dont recall having that with my old worn out bilsteins but I couldnt carry a load as the axles sat on the rubber stops.
PS. Some of us are on serious budgets - for better or worse.

Last edited by DazzaXJ96; 12-07-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I like to play God
Old 12-07-2007
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdownunder View Post
Not at all. Just means I was in a hurry and disagreed with you thats all...
When you have time, feel free to elaborate as to why you disagree.
Old 12-07-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaXJ96 View Post
Looks like a bad time to enter the conversation, however, if I have installed a new & inexpensive lift with intention to upgrade should I do the shocks or springs first. Priority being better travel on our bumpy country road (more for the wife). Is it shocks or springs I need to consider first or do they need to be matched at the same time to get any difference. I currently have Ironman and they have have served well for my budget at the time but I now need to stop the stiff bouncing truck feeling. I dont recall having that with my old worn out bilsteins but I couldnt carry a load as the axles sat on the rubber stops.
PS. Some of us are on serious budgets - for better or worse.
I have been down this road. I have removed one add-a-leaf to soften the rear end for better ride. Put Bilstein Shocks in that believe work better than the Rancho's I had. The result far better ride and handling. The bumps go thud rather than BANG like they did. Far as load is concerned I think the only real mod too do is airbags. Pump’ em up when you need to carry a load and level the car. Otherwise it’s a balancing act between load carrying / ride performance. Heavier the rear springs better the load carrying capacity the worse the ride. Softer in the rear better ride but you can't load her up that much. My Next mod is air bags...

If you compress a Rancho Shock that dampens impact it just stays compressed. And has to be pulled apart by suspension travel. The resistance when being compressed is the same always. If you adjust them up to a harder setting they are just harder to compress that’s all.

Do the same with a Bilstein or similar it resists being compressed. The harder and quicker you compress the more it resists. After compression it wants to force its way open again.

If I compress a Rancho and lay it down it just lays there…
If I compress a Bilstien it springs back out with force. You actually have too compressed them and hold them that way; whilst you slip them into place when mounting.

I like the idea of a Shock that self adjusts on impacts. Big bump big resistance little bump little resistance. The Ranch’s are just stiff and only one way. They are hard to compress but when you expand them it has to be dome manually and it can be done with you little pinkie finger… For me they are a Dampener not a Shock Absorber…

The type of Shock I have now works completely differently to how the Ranch’s work. (Completely differently)

When I fitted the Bilsteins I went for a test drive. It surprised me!!! I could feel the difference just backing down the drive.
Old 12-07-2007
BANNED AGAIN

I understand where your coming from; however, you have digressed from my initial response, which was to your statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdownunder
"Rancho's work like a damper they do bugger all for ride and handling I think. The Bilsteins self adjust under load they are an actual Shock Obsorber.
To which I replied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chili
All modern Shock Absorbers are dampers, this includes Bilsteins and Rancho.
I.e. All Shock Absorbers are dampers, therefore your statement was incorrect.

Even Bilstein state the same in their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilstein
The rising rate valving of the Bilstein shock absorber provides the necessary damping to react quicker to road conditions without sacrificing ride comfort.
But I did note that you now state - "For me they are a Dampener not a Shock Absorber", which is fair, as it is now your opinion.

Last edited by Fat Chili; 12-07-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Well give yourself a medal...!
Old 12-07-2007
BANNED AGAIN

Thank you , I will add another to my collection .

Another well thought out reply . Yes, some extra thoughts are needed!

Last edited by Fat Chili; 12-07-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2007
Not da Ride It's da Rider

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Too off topic and personal. Thread closed.