engine miss on warm up (diesel engine) - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-05-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
YOu use a K&N filter yeh?

Mabye try cleaning the airflow meter? Its possible the oil from your filter has fouled the sensor (very possible if the CRD uses a hotwire type sensor) and as a result the ECU has no idea how much fuel it should be putting in. This will cause havoc with your particulate filter as well - a blocked particulate filter can cause similar symptoms (blowing lots of smoke, rough running, high fuel consumption).

Interesting first post but couldn't help myself I guess. :P Looking around as I'm likely to be buying a new car in the near future and the JK unlimited is high up on my list (see my garage for why!).

Tom
Have done what you have said and cleaned the filter as well pulled everything apart and cleaned it as well. Problem seems to be gone at this stage thanks for your help.
Old 16-05-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default crd missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo1959 View Post
After doing what I did it didn't fix the problem with the engine miss,and Chrysler still don't know whats wrong with ti because they haven't heard of anyone else having the same problem as I am having.

My answer is this,can't mine be the FIRST ONE with a problem of a engine miss.
robo1959
Hi,

I bet you are not the only CRD period that has experienced this problem. Im gonna have to check some manuals and do a bit of a read. I think you guys have the RA version of the 2.8l litre CRD, is this correct?

This would mean that you should have the CP3 bosch fuel system. Same as KJ. I developed that miss, particularly after accelleration. My belief for me was that it was fuel starvation, turned out to be air being sucked in the the CP3 ip pump up the front through the filter head. In the KJ the engineeirs kindly left the software and wiring all the way to the back so that the BOSCH specified (not so optional) primarly lift pump could be used.

In the KJ there is only a sender (no lift pump) so we get various vehicles exhibiting a miss or stutter.

I did this and I dont miss any more, http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/...=328862#328862 I got heaps more power and pull and it never misses now, transmission adjusted itself also and holds gears better, although I never had a miss at idle. And now I can add the bosch specified 3 micron fuel filter which is way better and cheaper than the OEM filter.

I suspect your miss might lessen, perhaps after running for a while because fuel in excess of the injection event which is hot returns to the fuel tank and gradually warms things up perhaps, I have my filter manager heater disconnected coz im not interested in getting a fire as I have seen in some pictures, dont need one here in Perth I reckon anyway.

Fixing the EGR is another issue (working on that at the moment).

Dont know if this helps, hope so, when I went to the dealer about this they reflashed my TCM, completely confused lot down there, or they are just stalling through the warranty.

Anyway the thing I did with the lift pum, economical and more benefits that I though I would get. For some strange reason its fuel consumption dropped on the open road cruising and I love that.
Old 16-05-2008
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo1959 View Post
Have done what you have said and cleaned the filter as well pulled everything apart and cleaned it as well. Problem seems to be gone at this stage thanks for your help.
Absolutely fantastic to hear mate.

You might want to post up something about it in its own thread for others who are using oiled air filters as prolonged driving with a fouled airflow meter has the potential to result in severe engine damage (aka piston failure, cracked heads, burnt valves, etc) due to an overly rich mixture (diesels will run hot with a rich mixture). This happens alot to the 3.0L Turbo diesel Nissan patrols - except they don't always give the black smoke warnings that they're overfueling!
Old 16-05-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Isn't there another thread involving fitment of an air-oil separator unit into the PCV circuit to prevent oil mist from fouling the intake (maybe the intercooler?)...hey, why don't I do a search?
Old 19-05-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Absolutely fantastic to hear mate.

You might want to post up something about it in its own thread for others who are using oiled air filters as prolonged driving with a fouled airflow meter has the potential to result in severe engine damage (aka piston failure, cracked heads, burnt valves, etc) due to an overly rich mixture (diesels will run hot with a rich mixture). This happens alot to the 3.0L Turbo diesel Nissan patrols - except they don't always give the black smoke warnings that they're overfueling!
Thanks again for your help as stated cleaned the filter which was blocked with dust in future off road work I will run the paper filter in it.

I sent this thread to the dealer so if anybody else has this problem they will know where to look.

Again thanks to all who put in.

Happly little Jeeper again!

Last edited by robbo1959; 16-07-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 24-05-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
just as a guess i think it may be something to do with the egr system. the egr valve will be shut at cold start and open as the engine warms up and can handle the exhaust mix. is possible it is connected to the egr opening and causing a hiccup. just a guess.
Yes. Ive had my crd 3days and the engine starts missing at the light s usually within 5mins of start up (temp gauge almost norm operating temp/middle). It sounds like Robo 1959's problem was a little more than a slight miss on warm up. If it is the exhaust gas recirculation valve can the problem be fix (warranty) or is this a diesel engine quirk. Can someone please help with this problem. Minor but annoying.

Thanks John
Old 25-05-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate these diesels have a few quirks. mostly they revolve around the oil that comes out of the crank case breather and through the turbo, the intercooler, and the inlet manifold into the motor. and the egr system that recycles soot from th exhaust back into the inlet manifold and through your cylinders, and then mixes with the blowby gasses and winds up back in the sump turning your oil to mud. these things cause gunked up engine sensors that have to be cleaned, gunked up egr systems, gunked up intercoolers, gunked up throttle controls and god knows what else. but it the way this and most other modern diesels are designed. you have to do a bit of house cleaning from time to time that isn't mentioned in the service booklet. as such your dealer won't do it for you either. best shot is to go to a diesel service centre or a service centre of some sort that is experienced with diesels and get your vehicle serviced there. they will do the extra servicing or advise you on some aftermarket stuff like provents or oil catch cans, or ways of dealing with the soot, adjusted oil change intervals etc. dealerships just do whatever the service booklet tells them to, which is nowhere near enough for these diesels.
Post New Thread  Reply