JK 4dr V Defender 110 - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2008
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

i have heard the same davidd. Although i have had 2 jeeps and a mate of mine has had 2 Jeeps and both have been bloody reliable. I have seen more toyotas with issues in my club than the Jeeps.
Old 11-05-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you want to use a roof rack? (with a fair bit on it...)
Old 11-05-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd go the landy 110 if you've got the money for the extra purchase price. It's roomier, IMO a better tourer, still bloody capable and bloody nice. My only quarrel with Landy's is that Ford recently sold them off to India.
Old 11-05-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Honda was not far behind in recalls yet you talk to some people and they say they are very reliable....

All depends on what model you buy and a bit of luck too.....

If your near salt water a lot the defenders have one huge advantage = Ally Body panels ..... But if you rust proof a JK and don't plan to Keep it more then 15years Rust wont bother u...........
Old 11-05-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i haven't been under the latest landies but the earlier ones i drove and owned were pretty reliable but had the usual problems of early ladrovers they all leaked oil. if you pushed hard enough you could get a complimentary gallon of oil and a drip tray when you bought them. also one of them (petrol 6 cylinder) had a nasty electric fuel pump. quite often i had to get under and give it a hit with a spanner to kick it into life. but it always worked and never broke down. were easy to work on too. the jk diesel is a night mare to work on. changing a radator hose in the roadside would be real interesting or a heater hose, not easy to get at. the water pump is behind the cam drive belt and i still don't know where the thermostat is. lots of preventative maintenance needed to prevent roadside repairs, also noticed the location of the hose from intercooler to throttle body. it presses up against two fuses on the side of the fuse box and is already rubbing a mark on the hose. must put a protective strip on it soon. before going bush you would really have to find a workshop and a patient mechanic who will spend an hour going over the vehicle with you so you can do your basic roadside maintenance if it's required.. have already expanded my toolbox a bit to cater for the jk, probably need a few more things yet as i learn my way round it..
Old 11-05-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
they quoted figures (official) but i forget the source, which listed landrover and jeep as the two worst vehicles on the australian market, based on factory recalls and warranty claims lodged. interesting i thought.
Interesting comment there Davidd, Are we talking about factory recalls or TSB, my thoughts on this is that if a company has the sense to issue a recall for a non-safety fault that's good for the consumer and the company profile, I know your feelings toward Chrysler, but what about if you had a Nissan Patrol Turbo Detonator. I know more than a few people who have had issues with getting Nissan to pay for their engine after it failed due to poor design. Just because a company fails to issue a recall does not make it any more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatoy View Post
I'd go the landy 110 if you've got the money for the extra purchase price. It's roomier, IMO a better tourer, still bloody capable and bloody nice. My only quarrel with Landy's is that Ford recently sold them off to India.
Sorry Tonkatoy but have you sat in a Defender? The front seats are so far to the outside edge of the vehicle that I can't even drive it with the window up. We had one as a section vehicle for two years, worst gearbox in the world. Three replacements in two years.
Absolutely no foot room in the back unless you are a young Chinese girl who has had your feet bound.
That's without bringing Lucas prince of darkness into this (he hides under the bonnet waiting to steal all electrical power of land rovers). That being said very capable off-road when they work apart from the turning circle of a dead yak.

Glad I went with a JK.
Old 11-05-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I kinda meant dimensionally roomier - as in can fit more espresso machines in the back when you go camping. Being short and narrow (at least that's what she said!) I don't really have any problems sitting in a Landy.

As for all the leaks etc, Land-Rover build quality has gone up a few hundred percent recent time with thanks to being built by Ford.

Last edited by tonkatoy; 11-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply