** Coolant Instantaneous Level Sensor Alarm - Group Buy ** - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

hi guys i would like to get one as well
Old 12-09-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please add me to you list
Old 12-09-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I am unconvinced that this is really needed. I have had the one of the radiator tanks go on me and the factory low coolant sensor in the reservoir worked fine. I think that if you had such a catastophic failure (as the tank impoding) there is not going to be much you can do about it, even with this sensor, and you would only have a few seconds to shut down which is unrealistic if you are driving at the time (would only work if you were stationary). I have been told that when the plastic tanks do go it is normally a crack were the tanks are crimped to the core (this is what happened to me) and complete and total failure is very rare unless you or something has hit the side tanks and taken them out which I think would be unlikely without you knowing.
Old 12-09-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

GOOD POINT ROACHY:

I understand it has alot to do with the way the Radiator actually fails. i.e. fast enough to cause damage to the motor, and fast enough to not allow the Overflow sensor to trigger. So how come we have lost another 2 V8's in the last weeks, that have Coolant overflow bottle sensors?

In at least 2 of the last 4 instances over the last months where folks have written off their 8's, this sensor in my opinion may well of caught the event quick enough to power down.

Here is another one - Guess what Radiator split - Dead donk...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JEEP-GRAND-CH...d=p3286.c0.m14

NEW2JEEP and MWHEELS (anyone else?) is it possible, if its not to painful for you to remember, for you to explain to us what failed where and how long it took to drain prior to serious damage? Did the Low Coolant sensor even trip or by the time it did was it all over - anything here would be really helpful - Pictures if you have them?

Roachy certainly has a valid point worth discussing, as I, like most do not like wasting money....

Last edited by SNOWG; 12-09-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Something like this is a good idea but these examples seem very pricey.
What I was gunna do (but never got around to it yet) was fit sensor to plug in thermostat cover (highest point within system) & then connect to factory low reservoir level alarm (just connect wires at bottle).
Would need to use sensor with compatible output ,which I think is just a on/off switch.
I think Dick Smiths & Jaycar do a kit for $40 which could be easily adapted.
Old 12-09-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Turbosmart
Great idea! Yes I cannot understand the pricing for what you actually get in parts?? I was hoping the group buy would re price the item at a price I thought more represented what you get which in reality is a Fluid Sensor, wiring, buzzer, and Light (And temp sensor for the dual version)
Its sound logic to make use of the existing alarm system for the coolant overflow level, I'd have to have a look but I assume the factory coolant overflow sensor would use conductivity to alarm off of (2 wire probs in the coolant possibly?)

So when you say "fit sensor to plug in thermostat cover" is this an easy thing? Can you explain it further? I would imagine you mean the sensor is a Fluid sensor or some type?

To further expand this idea I like the thought of having the Fluid Sensor in the Top Radiator hose I am assuming this would be the 1st place that detects Fluid level drop if you where indeed loosing Coolant?

Maybe we could work on the Radiator sensor from "EngineSavers" alone and come up with a wiring harness to interface into the factory fitted existing Coolant Overflow bottle..

Ill do some looking...
Old 12-09-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

According to my manual the factory sensor has two wires ,earth & sense.It shows the sensor as having a resistance all the time & a normally open switch.The resistance is probably so the computer knows the sensor is connected.I suspect the switch part is just a float.