Death wobbling piece of s#$t - Page 34 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine looks okay ATM but who sells or has fitted a heavy duty greasable tie rods, I could not be bothered changing my supension back to stock. Any pics of some shagged tie rods..BTW my death wobbles were fixed with a new steering damper and tightening everything up.
Old 18-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Looking at mine, I don't believe the TREs are meant to be able to be separated from the tie rod.
Old 18-01-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Possible ESP-related cure to the death wobbles

Was just reading on the US forum that a guy nailed down the cause of his death wobbles to his ESP. Apparantly he'd only get the wobbles on a certain stretch of road he drives daily after hitting a bridge at speed followed by a bend, and has concluded after many trials that with the ESP off he's fine but with it on he gets the death wobbles every time.

Worth a try if everything else you've tried (ie: tightening or upgrading components, etc) has failed I guess...
Old 18-01-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yom I meant the whole tie rod

Something like this I think.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Looking at mine, I don't believe the TREs are meant to be able to be separated from the tie rod.
Old 18-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
My JK with 13,000km has flogged out drivers side TRE (as in completely flogged out, rubber boot spewing grease). And yes, epic death wobbles.

Both tie rod ends, stock steering dampner being replaced under warranty.

Jeep won't touch it with anything but Original or Mopar suspension by the way.

Mine had a very light shimmy over bumps when new. So i reckon it might be an issue with the supply of TREs?
Jeep replaced my Draglink, tie rod and steering damper and i have 4 inch skyjacker lift, relocated steering damper and 35 inch tyres no questions asked.
All i wanted was the drag link replaced as the ball joint was shot
I was however expecting them to say no
Old 18-05-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber View Post
I lifted my 4dr rubi because the front springs clasped with the weight of the bar and winch 11000 km . After market mod so my fault.

I bought 2inch springs from a local supplier and rear springs to match and when fitted like most lifts i got closer to 6 inches from where is was but it was a bout 3 to 4 from stock and the rear was not as much but it leveled the jeep nicely i was happy.

no death wobbles at that point

I then fitted quality after market shocks and there it was the most dangerous shudder i had ever seen it even changed lanes and my mate in front thought i was going to roll.

so i took out the square and tape measure and calculator to work out the angles and think through the problem

i didn't get further than the toe it was 13 mm toe in no wonder it was going crazy so i toed it out to 3mm toe in and it drove like a dream problem solved

i have ordered upper arms to fix the caster and a track bar is on order as well

my jeep now rides better and handles better than it ever did and my goal is to improve it more as i still see small issues that i can fix given time and money

i hope this account helps some one as it is a very dangerous situation to be in

Just to let all know that at 20 000 km now i have not seen it return to the point i dont even have a steering damper after i squashed the last one. I have fitted adjustable upper arms to correct the caster and i and very happy with how my jeep drives. Its better than my SR5 hilux work car.
Old 18-05-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossj View Post
Yom I meant the whole tie rod

Something like this I think.....

OK but of an old bump but we need to find out where these americans are getting these tie rod ends as this is one of the things which stops us from getting local products made (i would prefer to get local over any of the imported stuff)
Post New Thread  Reply