My Rear Bar for XJ - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info GOJEEP.
I think the stuff I used for the bush won't allow too much movement. I did a bit of research before it was made up, and this is the stuff used to replace some solid metal bearings in certain applications. Anyway, I won't be putting a huge tyre on so not as much weight and it's not like it is rotating like a wheel constantly. The housing for it and bolt size is sufficiently thick enough to prevent much in the way of flex. I think you would get more flex in the arm - the longer it is, how it is supported at the other end and the weight applied. I believe that a small amount of flex or give is needed in a lot of situations, and a lot of vehicle are designed around this. My experience is mostly at sea with ships and this is certainly the case in big seas and the way a vessel rides. I know vehicles have suspension to counter the road surfaces, but the body and chassis have a certain amount of movement built in.
Old 11-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a bit of time this afternoo ( no-one was home) so I cut some angle to fit between the rear of the main bar and the mounting plates to 'box' it in and welded in. I 'spose it's mostly for looks, even though you won't really see it when mounted, but to me it just didn't look right with only the angle. It will add a bit of strength to the join as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	24853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00003.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	24854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00004.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	24855  
Old 14-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default More mockups

Some photos of where to place wheel and if I want the option of a jerrycan.

I still have to finish off the ends of the bar, then cleanup and paint so I can then at least have the bar on and finish the carrier later. I'm running out of time to get it done before I go away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0974.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	24911   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0975.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	24912   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0978.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	24913   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0982.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	24914  
Old 14-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A photo of the view from the drivers seat - the wheel still has to be about 100mm higher.

Also, still trying to decide what sort of catch to use. Thinking about getting a rear hatch catch from the wreckers, or source something like SteveF has.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0980.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24919  
Old 14-03-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you mount the wheel and tyre in the centre of the bar, then you will not need to mount extra tail lights in the bar.
Old 14-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some photos of the ends tacked on now. I have an idea how i want to finish these - probably similar sort of shape to the stock plastic ones.

Don't want to have to put in extra lights if I don't have too. Anyone know rules on this? Do the light hve to be able to seen from an angle?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0986.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	24923   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0987.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	24924   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0990.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	24925   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0991.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	24926  
Old 14-03-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

It's looking real good, bringing back memories of sweat and welding Serious deja vue here, although really how many ways can it be done Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers
Steve