CRD oil Type? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-05-2010
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Back to the original reason for this thread...

Here in South Africa the Chrysler head office recommends Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 for both the 2.7l and 3.0l diesel (don't agree with 3.0l). I am still considering Shell Rimula 10W40 R6M.

Which would be better for 130000km 2.7 crd?
So you've got a WG/WJ series Grand Cherokee?
Presumably it has the 2.7 Mercedes CRD?
Speak to a Mercedes dealer and get an opinion on that model engine.
Others on this forum who drive your model may also be able to enlighten you.

The WH/WK Series and the Commander both share the same Mercedes 3.0 Lt CRD.
These must have Fully Synthetic 5W30 oil only in them, no exceptions.
Someone at Chrysler, your end has their wires crossed, like the odd few dealers in Australia as you have just read above!

Sbv20j my vehicle has been to DC Motors for warranty work and a service - they do an excellent job - you can have full confidence in them!
My Jeep will be on Gladstone's streets for the month of June, may see you there!

Last edited by johnv; 29-05-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 29-05-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbv20j View Post
I spoke to Chrysler directly and the issue was sorted out quickly.
The dealer did a very substandard job, the latest issue which i only just found is it looks like the Auto has been overfilled or incorrect fluid type using.
When I towed my camper on the weekend and loaded up the AT a bit, oil spewed every where, Eng bay,splash guards, fuel tank its made a shocking mess.
I already spoke to jeep assist who have agreed to tow it to the dealer, but i will speak to my Chrysler case worker tomorrow and I want them to take it to DC Motors in Rocky, I cannot believe how such a simple thing could go so wrong its only a service, my 2yr old son would have done a better job.

Hey this is good info. I have just purchased a 2003/4 CRD (2.7L) and was thinking of going down to Bundy for services (I live in Kin Kora). I think i've just decided that DC Motors in Rocky will be the place to go.
Old 29-05-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

10w-30 is fine...

KSK

"Let your pistons do the Torquing"
Old 01-06-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Hi Cherren,

Like you I buy the Mobil 1 ESP 5w 30 from a Mobil depot in 20l drums which costs just over $200, 2 oil changes per year. I get a pack of 4 oil filters from German filters in USA, delivered to my address costs me around AU$70. Buy the filters from a dealer and you will pay around $40 for one.

But I prefer to do my own oil and filter changes that way I know what is going in the sump. Too many bad experiences with some dealers and I don't trust them to put the oil supplied in to my vehicle, and keep it themselves and put their oil in.

When I checked on the best oil Mercedes Benz told me that there is only one fully synthetic ESP oil that complies and it is Mobil 1.

I spoke with Castrol about The Edge (not as expensive) complying with the specs and was advised none of their fully synthetic oils complied and recommended I should use Mobil 1 ESP 5w 30.
Old 06-06-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just did an oil change on my 06 WH CRD. Used Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30.

I thought I had to use the Mobil 1 ESP (low ash), but after a fair bit of research discovered that the MB 229.51 type was developed specifically to prolong the life of DPFs. The extended service schedule was a side-benefit.

Since my 06 does not have a DPF the MB229.51 is not strictly required - hence i got some Castrol on sale at Repco. $50 for 5L.

Next time i'd prob get some Mobil 1 delivered - same price ($200 for a 20L drum) but i didn't have the time to wait for delivery this time round.
Old 10-06-2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Oil Type

Im about to try penrite environ plus as it meets all the spec and can be purchased at a good price compared to mobil
Post New Thread  Reply