Erratic idle and knocking sound - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-11-2015
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

I doubt you can actually affect the ECM or TCM program, but what can be done is reset to 'learning mode' which cleans out learned setting, clears codes held etc.
Unless you have done something to eliminate the cause then jt will probably return.
Old 22-11-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just follow the DIY ECU FLASH guide.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=98&t=78418

The programmer is about $20 on ebay.

I can confirm my EGR is disabled and MAF plugged in. I do not have a check light after 2 days of testing driving.

Regarding re-learning, I have previously removed the battery terminals numerous times overnight, which would have reset the ECU (therefore forced to re-learn).
However it never really helped fix the idle issue and dead spot.

Last edited by KJ75; 23-11-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm just dropping a note to say thanks for drawing my attention to the flashing tool. I've ordered one from Ebay and I'm going to have a crack at doing it over the Christmas break. I recently had my head off and cleaned due to seized/sheared glow plugs so shutting off the EGR without a CEL would be nice.
Old 02-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I can confirm that since I have re-programmed the ECU, it drives fantastic, and no further idling issues since, as EGR is disabled and CEL does not show.

I recommend using a fully charged laptop and disabling power saving features on the laptop (you don't want power saving while you program the ECU).
Windows 10 can be used to install MPPS 13.02, but Windows 7 is recommended. If using Windows 10, set compatibility mode to Windows 7 or Windows XP.

If you are unsure about anything like which firmware version you have and require, I recommend posting on lostjeep forum. Yeti from Italy is a member there and has helped me with this.

Just take care and make sure you follow the guides, as you can break your ECU if not done correctly.

Do not do this if you already have the GDE tune, as it will screw your ECU.

Good luck.

Last edited by KJ75; 02-12-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds interesting KJ75. Can you essentially replicate the GDE tune by doing this? And I'm on a Mac laptop. Does the program only work with windows?
Old 02-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

So far from what I learned the GDE tune is encrypted, so I don't think a replication is possible. However yeti and others on lostjeep have made some amazing performance gains and at the same time managed to disable the EGR. The performance gains have been tested over the years so they seem to be safe.
In fact there are more performance oriented tunes available, but with those they recommend the upgraded heavy duty torque converter.

There seems to be different versions of the ECU and some of the latest tunes may not be available to us. However with software it should be possible to replicate the performance tunes, to work with the Aussie firmware version. There are specialty software that allow you to tune and make ECU firmware changes like ECM Titanium.

The software works on windows but others have said it also works in a virtual machine. It may also be possible that it works under Linux using WINE which allows you to run windows software under Linux. In fact I used Linux to run the Dynojet windows software to tune my Yamaha FZ8 motorbike.

So far I simply used the MPPS software to take a backup of my ECU firmware, then write the new modified firmware (downloaded from lostjeeps) which disabled the EGR. The firmware available for my 06 Jeep, did not add performance but simply disables the EGR.
Old 03-12-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi kj75 do you need to do any mods to the car with the ecu flash like blocking the egr or do you just uploaded the new firmaware and all is good to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply