AIR LOCKER or WINCH - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-07-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts
Default AIR LOCKER or WINCH

Bill speaks with experience [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 16-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats a rear LSD worth compared to the Locker? If they were cheap enough the front locker & rear LSD combination might be the economically sensible way to go (given that the thing is part time 4wd - ie and locks centre), if similar well ya know, start with the rear.
Old 16-07-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

OK partly there....
My understanding of the winch/driving rule is:

If you are driving & winching, and the driving starts to overrun (ioe faster) than the winch - you get slack in the cable.
This slack yes could cause the hook to unclasp - but more imfortantly if traction is lost again this places a shock load in the winch for which it's not designed & can damage it - So saftey hook or not - doesn't matter..

BUT if your winch has a faster speed (ie HS9500 or 8274) then you are MUCH less likely to over run the winch line speed - Infact in Comps you see this done ALL the time....Part of the reason the 8274 is such a popular winch in competition circles....

Mind you in many/most/all? recreational usages speed isn't a concern - infact could get the average punter into trouble if all haste is used..then it's not such a big deal...

Lastly if I was running driver training or tag-along etc where the possibility of constant winching was higher then I'd be leaning toward Hydraulic...
Old 16-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cant argue with any of that. Dagnabit.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 16-07-2002
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you do alot of greasy hilly type stuff go the rear locker.
if you do alot of climbing over objects and twisty stuff get a front locker.
get a mate with a japanese fourbie to snatch you through and you won't need a winch ;)
Old 17-07-2002
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey Doc got a question 4 ya about the hydro winch.( I know SFA about 'em) :D
I was out a few weeks ago with a big GU wagon and he had one (don't know the brand) but we were doing some fairly simple recovery work and he had to turn the front wheels while winching and then the winch stopped..

Is this the norm for all hydro winches??

I can tell you apart from the speed factor which is extremely slow,this turned a simple recovery into a full on road building session.He also had to use a line that we all rather he didn't..

BTW leccy all the way here..my 8274 reels in at a slightly quicker speed than 1st low is at idle..makes driving and winching easy..

Oh and in answer to the origional question go the winch first..

[ 17 July 2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Jumbo ]
Old 17-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Theorectically there is ment to be a valve that gives priority to the steering rather than the winch. Think this is more of an issue on full lock.

Having said that I've never had a problem with doing both at the same time. Certainly doesnt seem to make any difference where my tyres are pointing. I tried this out recently to specifically see what would happen and took the line I wanted.

My only suggestion is maybe the crusier has a bigger powersteering pump as the valve would be pressure related. I'm also using synthetic oil which helps to ensure nothing overheats.

Back to the question again.....

There's no situation that a power winch will get ya out of that a hand one wont! Go the lockers! They're cool baby!
Post New Thread  Reply